A new COUPE rival to Mercedes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
How does that work with Porsche, Ferrari, Lambo., etc. or even 'volume' sports cars like the MX5, SLK, etc.?

Easy one to answer. The high fronts on most cars are there now to allow a space between the bonnet and the engine block so if a pedestrian gets hit, they don't whack the bodys directly into the engine block. A sort of human crumple zone as it where.

As Porsches, Lambos, Ferraris etc are all mid or rear engineed, they don't need to have bluff, high front ends so are exempt from these new rules.

Sit an original MX-5 or previous shape SLK next to their current models and you'll see the difference. The new models have relative high front ends compared to the originals. Stylists have got round this by oversizing the arches which tricks the eye when looking at them side on. That's also why anything less than 17" wheels look undersized these days.

As to the new A5, looks good IMHO, if a little derivative - looks a lot like the new 3 series/C209 CLK but sharper than both.

Cheers,

Steve

Last edited:
My god that is stunning!
Isn't the back a little bentleyesque?

Well seeing as VW owns Bently.............. ;)

Really like it, as for it not looking like any previous Audi, it resembles other Audi's as much as one Mercedes looks like another.

As Porsches, Lambos, Ferraris etc are all mid or rear engineed, they don't need to have bluff, high front ends so are exempt from these new rules.

The Ferrari 599 and 612 are both front-engined, and an awful lot lower than any Audi!

i think its just very boring, looks just like everything else rolling off the production lines these days, just does nothing for me..

They're mounted well back and lower in the cars structure. Like the current RX-8.

Next!

;)

So a front-engined car doesn't HAVE to have a front end like a barn in order to meet the current regs - exactly my point ;)

Easy one to answer. The high fronts on most cars are there now to allow a space between the bonnet and the engine block so if a pedestrian gets hit, they don't whack the bodys directly into the engine block. A sort of human crumple zone as it where.

Could be, but then again if you open the bonnet of the new CL600 (V12) you will see there is not that much space left under there. My personal opinion on this is that it is not about more space between the exterior of the car, but rather about the overall shape of the front, and not specifically the height of the bonnet. New cars all have blunt fronts compared to older models. When you hit something (pedestrian, other car, or something else), the impact will be spread over a larger surface. With a blunt front you will more be pushing the object than splitting it in two.

Again, this is only me guessing.

Audi is the new BMW as far as I'm concered.

Except their cars handle nowhere near as well, being wrong wheel drive.

If you think an Aston Martin or a current BMW 5 series with large wheels has a good ride you've quite clearly never driven one !
adam

I agree. I've driven both and was disappointed by both. I much prefer the Mercedes. That's why I drive one.

As for Audi, we must agree to differ. I think VW have made a big effort to try to position it as a luxury car and to most it is now on the next rung down with Saab and Volvo. I have tried them many times and don't like them. Most are cramped compared with Mercs. Even the smallest Mercedes, the A class, definitely has more legroom than many Audis which do not have enough for me. The looks, I used to like, but the new front end with the big snarling mouth, I find plain ugly. |The interiors are OK in an industrial sort of way but nothing special to my eyes. And the ride on all I have tried is frankly awful as many motoring journalists have also commented. It's good that the market gives some choice and how dull if we all liked the same. You like Pepsi, I like Coke.

I absolutely love it APART from that horrible, gianormous front grille. It is on all their current models and is a complete turn off. Just like the BMW Dame Edna front end, but just like others have said. Each to their own. ;)

I also agree with others about the ride quality of both BMW and Audi, we have the E-class Avantgarde, but have opted for the comfort suspension package. :cool: :cool:

Regards,
John

I absolutely love it APART from that horrible, gianormous front grille. It is on all their current models and is a complete turn off. Just like the BMW Dame Edna front end, but just like others have said. Each to their own. ;)

I also agree with others about the ride quality of both BMW and Audi, we have the E-class Avantgarde, but have opted for the comfort suspension package. :cool: :cool:

Regards,
John
Just extraordinary how much better the comfort suspension is on UK roads -as in the Elegance standard and optional on Avantgarde. The E class with it rides close to the magic ride of the S class IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom