A new look for the Whale

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Howard

MB Club Veteran
Car
2018 C63 Wagon / CLK430 / A150 / VW Pink Floyd Golf Cabriolet
Well, finally got the alloys finished and mounted ready for tomorrow !! :bannana:

They were inspired by the titanium finish of the modern AMG wheels (styling 4's i think). I saw them on CL65 AMG .I went a shade darker though and did them in gunmetal grey ...

Would have liked to have had the rims diamond cut, but can't stretch to it at the mo (getting married in 3 weeks :eek: ) ....perhaps thats a job for the future ....

Anyway, i hope you like them , i know i do ........ :)

Last edited:
SportsCoupeRich said:
thumbs up i reckon....had to take a second look as was unsure but have decided i like them :)

Ditto - that's what I did. I don't often like this style but I think they work - have a narna :bannana:

Its taken weeks and was only really possible as i had two spare wheels..

You will need :

Holts Chrome/Aluminium Spray , Holts Rover Gunmetal Grey , Holts Clear Lacquer, Holts White Primer. They are about £3.50 each from a car accesory shop, not Hellfrauds where they are £5 each !!

I used 2 Chrome , 3 1/2 Gunmetal , 3 Primers and 3 Lacquer

First, get your wheel, Take out every allen bolt (if they are IMITATION split rims) , if they are genuine split rims, then leave them well alone and seek professional advice. Check the scuffs and scrapes, if they are too bad it may have to go away to be refurbed....i was lucky , just a bit of curb damage to mine.

Dad owns a marina, so i went down there and got some two pack marine filler (hard as rock and waterproof). I then sanded the wheels down taking the inevitable sharp edges off. Next mixed the filler and gently filled the scrapes and nicks (be careful not to get anyone the tyres). Leave to dry at least overnight....

Next flat it down with wet and dry - start with 240 then 400, finally 1000. Dry the wheel off and check for any imperfections or bits you have missed . If there are any (and there will be) fill these and leave overnight again. Repeat above until you are happy. Getting the curve of the wheel is hard but possible.

Once you are satisfied that all is well, you need to mask off the tyre and the valve, Gently tuck the masking tape under the rim between tyre and metal , i used a roll of tissue paper to mask off the whole tyre rather than use all the masking tape.

Now you will need some white primer (not grey) white allows the silver you are going to put on the rim to shine better. Prime the whole wheel. Once dried ,flat with 1000 wet and dry and repeat. When you have finished this wipe it with a tack-rag to take off any dust.

Ok, now stand the wheel upright on a workbench and now spray the rim, nice circular motions, being careful not to get any runs.....couple of coats should do it. Leave to dry overnight. Next you need to mask off the rim, i had an edge to follow as mine are imitation split rims. Put the tape on just firmly enough to stick, not too hard or it will pull the silver off when you remove it.

Spray the gunmetal grey on the face, nice side to side motions about 6 inches away, when you have a nice coat on it, turn the wheel 45 degrees and repeat. Watch for runs, if you see any forming, put the wheel flat and hopefully they will just spread out. When dry (overnight) flat with 1000 wet and dry and repeat.

The lacquer I used reckoned to be applied 1/2 hour after the final coat, so i did , you will need to unmask the rim ( watch the silver paint) but leave the tyre masked still. Spray the whole wheel with lacquer using the same technique as for the paint. The secret i found is not to be afraid of the paint or lacquer , if you are you will end up with a 'dusty' matt finish.

Leave for three days then take off tissue and tape from tyre and valve, and refit allen bolts (if needed). I then polished them with 'Harly Wax' which gives them that 'still wet' look in the picture. Put them back on he car and your're done !!

Last edited:
Good work! :D
Howard said:
get your wheel, Take out every allen bolt (if they are split rims)
Can I add please:

DO NOT REMOVE THE ALLEN BOLTS IF YOU HAVE GENUINE SPLIT-RIM WHEELS.

Take them to the professionals, you know it makes sense :rolleyes:

Shude said:
Good work! :D

Can I add please:

DO NOT REMOVE THE ALLEN BOLTS IF YOU HAVE GENUINE SPLIT-RIM WHEELS.

Take them to the professionals, you know it makes sense :rolleyes:

LOL !!! good point Shude ...... :D

Sorry, hope no-one has rushed out and unbolted their split rims ......

Safety First !!

I shall edit it now !!

Howard said:
Would have liked to have had the rims diamond cut, but can't stretch to it at the mo (getting married in 3 weeks :eek: ) ....perhaps thats a job for the future ....

Howard, I'm a little unclear. Do you mean diamond cutting the rims is a job for the future or the wedding is a job for the future!

I mean, come on, what are your priorities in life!! (ha)

The wheels look great though - just stay away from those pesky curbs!

Just been outside looking at it.....

It kinda reminds me of those early 90's Zender catalogues you used to get..... :eek:

Which i suppose is the right sort of time frame, didn't the 'Hammers' of the era have colour coded wheels ?

I'll see if i can find a piccy.....

EDIT :- Hammer Piccy - looks cool.......

Last edited:
Hi Howard,
I've always liked your car, but this is a clear case of beauty is in the eye of the beholders.

Everyone here likes those wheels, but sad person that I am, I would not have them on the car if it were mine.

The car is not mine, you like them, everyone else likes them and I am merely answering the question. :bannana:

Sorry,
But well done anyway,
John

No worries John....

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.....

Thanks for taking the time to look though..... :)

Good effort H - looking very smart :)

Well done Howard, what a difference it makes just by adding a bit of colour,It really looks cool, and the fact that you did it yourself,makes the pleasure even greater.Good job.,By the way feel like doing another set????,I just don't tend to have steady hands!,for this particular job (Thought ill specify,before someone thinks otherwise)

Nice one, I think they look cool on your car. I don't think they would suit every colour, but on a white car they look good.

Nice job you made of it to. :rock:

Nice one Howard looks great :bannana:

Have you been taking tips from Edd China of Wheeler Dealers? :D

Brave man Howard ... it takes guts to do such things to your wheels !

End result is very distinctive though - you won't see another one quite like that !

Well Done :)

Shude said:
My dad used to own a Marina, eventually he traded it for a brown Allegro! :eek:

bloody hell, sucker for punishment, was your dad a Tory MP? :p :D

great looking wheels BTW Howard, cracking bit of DIY!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom