A new ML500 driver

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

W163ML500

Car
Mercedes ML500 2002
Hi everyone reading this.
I am new here and last September bought myself a ML500 2002 model in silver. near mint condition, looked after and only missing 3 years MB service history out of 18 years and very low miles at only 73K.

She has done this over 18 years, so the usual things under her need swapped out, like the entire suspension, brakes, and I have already had all 5 wheels power-coated and 5 new tyres. (At least mercedes dealership have swapped out some bushes and wishbones over the years). I am taking her back to almost showroom condition, but also use it as and when needed.

I have other vehicles and motorbikes (slight collection really), and was a car mechanic long before computers came online, (1980's), so am fine with mechanicals, but learning new technology and scanners and diagnostic readings are taking me a few weeks to get my head around, but managing so far. (My working memory is badly broken, so I can confuse myself, even without any help from others and can only now communicate on a one-to-one basis).
I can never watch TV or a film as memory will not work to let me see what is unfolding, so no loss, and actually a blessing.

Everything is now module controlled, ECU and microchips, but no problem. Easy to learn over time. The whole idea and concept of eletronic control is fine, even if it never works properly or packs in, as is often the case present day more and more.

I did other professions in life, so mechanics are just one I kept at in the background, as once learned, never forgotten.
I will post a new thread of what I am up to with the mercedes as lots to ask and hopefully I can get some advice to help me make decisions on what to do next and what not to do.

I am severely disabled with a serious brain injury, (Cognitive functioning and reasoning affected), since 2012, serious RTA, but still able to do some things and still enjoying life. Lost concept of dates and times and have to pass a driving brain test every year now to keep my licence, and also had to re-sit my driving test after the accident, some 3 years later after learning to almost walk again.
I have carers to help me daily, so this lets you know the seriousness of my injuries and problems this end, but I don't let this hamper me if possible.
If I struggle body-wise, my carers take-over with me.
If i get long winded and rabble on, do not worry, this is just the way I function and cannot help it. So what can be said in a sentence might take me three or four to get the same question across.

Thanks all for reading and looking forward to some help and advice and reading through many posts here already.

Welcome to MBClub.

It sounds like you’re starting from a good base given the history of you ML 500. I look forward to reading your posts about how you make her even better.

Wishing you the best with the project.

Welcome to MBClub.

It sounds like you’re starting from a good base given the history of you ML 500. I look forward to reading your posts about how you make her even better.

Wishing you the best with the project.
Thanks for the welcome,
I have started and spent £1000's already and not even had the pleasure to drive her, apart from driving her home when I bought it.
I did join another benz forum, but in the US, and not very nice towards the brits or outsiders, so looked for one closer to home.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom