A nice Drive - Peak District

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

trainer

MB Enthusiast
Car
C32 AMG - Sold October 2013
At the moment I only use the C32 at the weekends. Partly due to the company car and partly down to fuel costs.

I set off from home and drove out to Bosley cross roads and then across towards Buxton. The road is fantastic with views of Shutlingsloe and the Roaches.

DSC00418.JPG

http://www.wildaboutbritain.co.uk/pictures/data/11/TheRoaches001.jpg

I then went over to Longnor via high edge raceway. This takes you past chrome hill which is lovely

http://www.picturesofengland.com/img/L/1065508.jpg

Then back from longnor to Leek via Ramshaw rocks

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSCDCXTp9cCZsXSETgDo7_JzbO_ele--5JCy3xaxyldaBFDTyzwbg

all in all a nice drive out.

It's a shame my achilles is playing up as it would have been a good run.

Love the Peak District, used to live near it for 30 years then moved down south.

My Merc decided to bust today:doh:

So I got the 4x4 out and went up Derbyshire too:bannana:

Got down some very thin tracks down back beyond Matlock.

If only the Merc was as well built at my Toyota:wallbash:

Steve

The bumps are bad for your fuel consumption, the curves are terrible for tyre wear. It doesn't make sense. Why is it such a nice road?

:)

Last edited:
Actually I found the back roads in Derbyshire are better than the main roads in Notts.

One thing I found odd was that people do give way to a 4x4 where they don't to a MB?

Finistere the curves are fun to drive round and the bumps are just bumps. The scenery makes the drive what it is - that and the odd times when I get to drive hard.

Fizzer I live between Stoke on Trent and Leek so I am on the edge of the peaks.

I would normally been in a position to run over the hills rather than drive round them which puts an even bigger smile on my face.

Love the Peak District, used to live near it for 30 years then moved down south.
me too..well not 30yrs but 15+ then moved south then usa, still miss weekly visits into the peaks :(

I suppose I have lived on the edge of the peaks for 25 years now. I used to live in Macclesfield which meant I could run round Macclesfield forest several times a week as well as forays into the DARK peak. The joys of trogging across Kinder Scout and Bleaklow.

One of the good things about living here is the chance to dark peak it when the ground is frozen or dry.

I have never been to the states. Saratoga sounds pretty good. I understand the mountain biking is outstanding.

One of the good things about living here is the chance to dark peak it when the ground is frozen or dry.

I have never been to the states. Saratoga sounds pretty good. I understand the mountain biking is outstanding.

Have been mountain biking in the peaks for years and whilst I wouldnt' want to say I've covered most of the routes in the dark and white peaks...I probably have.

The riding is good here!..I was out at the weekend and had a cracking time. I would describe the peak district as 'undulating' in comparison (even Jacobs ladder, Stanage etc...even if riding up out of Edale doesn't feel like it) here its a lot more 2 hrs up and 30 mins down. But what strikes me most is the lack of people, although it has a relatively high population...I did a 3hr route and saw perhaps 10 people? mostly around the start/stop...it did strike me (whilst 'going for it' in the middle) that if I had a major off (not unknown in my case!) It would be some time before anyone came across me.

p.s. sorry for 'hijacking'

One thing I found odd was that people do give way to a 4x4 where they don't to a MB?

Then you need one of these............. It's a 4x4 and it's a MB :thumb:

ML350%20Show%20Car.JPG

If you ever in Canada the Ice field park way is an amazing drive that take you through the Rockies! I could of driven that road all day and every day!

Another great Peak District drive is to go to Glossop and then take Snakes Pass and on down the Hope Valley. Great views. Great drive.

Another great Peak District drive is to go to Glossop and then take Snakes Pass and on down the Hope Valley. Great views. Great drive.

Watch out for the giant potholes on the snake. I got caught out the other week and was almost thrown onto the wrong side of the road after hitting what I can only describe as a canyon!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom