A nice / interesting video

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Howard

MB Club Veteran
Car
2018 C63 Wagon / CLK430 / A150 / VW Pink Floyd Golf Cabriolet
:cool:

http://youtu.be/81UjjSH2iFw

I find stuff like this fascinating , I could watch it all day.

Last edited:
Really fascinating - didn't realise there was so much engineering in 1 crankshaft!

I ran a workshop for 15 years, and I still love seeing stuff like that. We used to use carbide ramping cutters in aluminium for roughing, clamp the job hard enough and the stream of swarf coming off would be so big it would obscure the tool completely :rock:.

If you fancy a day out seeing what the biggest and best in precision engineering has to offer, look out for an exhibition called MACH, held at the NEC every two years. You've missed it for now - MACH 2014 was in April - but it's free to enter. Trade only, but just register online beforehand and make up a company "Howard Precision Engineering" or something (engineering companies generally don't have a lot of imagination when it comes to names) and you can blag your way in, I'm sure. Even though I've been out of the game for a few years now I went last time and was like a kid in a toy shop.

Cheers,

Gaz

Really fascinating - didn't realise there was so much engineering in 1 crankshaft!
Crankshafts are not usually billet machined, that's just a demo of the machine's capabilities. Crankshafts are usually machined up from a forged piece.

Billet machined cranks are usually specials or custom jobs, very pricey!

Good vid though.

Last edited:
Crankshafts are not usually billet machined, that's just a demo of the machine's capabilities. Crankshafts are usually machined up from a forged piece.

Billet machined cranks are usually specials or custom jobs, very pricey!

Good vid though.

As you say, most regular cranks are cast iron, then machined. An all steel, billet crank is normally used for high rev, racing engine, applications.

I once broke the crank on a car engine. It sheared after no 1. journal.

There was a strange lack of power...

Fascinating and enlightening. Why are these item so expensive when the are machine cut in only 13min and 28 seconds though?:devil:

Nice.

Makes my brain hurt just watching it and thinking how much work has gone into the machine.

Is it just me, but when the tool pulls back, angles itself then pauses, I get the feeling it's almost standing back and admiring its work.

I think the price of the machine might go somewhere to explaining that.....I wonder if Edd China has one?

Tony.

I think the price of the machine might go somewhere to explaining that.....I wonder if Edd China has one?

Tony.

Seems to have everything else.

Howard, as you say, fascinating :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom