A non starting E270 after injector replacement !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nthkentman

Car
E270 & W203 C220 (Hers)
Removed and replaced an injector, and the copper ring at the base. (I realise the injector may need "Coding" to improve emmissions, but it shouldn't prevent it starting)
Bled system to each of the 5 injectors, and ensured no air leaks
Diagnostics..... Had a man out to read the codes. Appears that the only code in the system is one for the 5th cylinder glow plug isn't playing the game.
BUT.... On further investigation, there is no signal at any of the injector heads, but there is signal at the cam and crank sensors. Therefore the bugger still won't start as the injectors aren't getting a signal to fire.... This one has me really stumped.
Has anyone any suggestions where to follow on from here?...

Removed and replaced an injector, and the copper ring at the base. (I realise the injector may need "Coding" to improve emmissions, but it shouldn't prevent it starting)
Bled system to each of the 5 injectors, and ensured no air leaks
Diagnostics..... Had a man out to read the codes. Appears that the only code in the system is one for the 5th cylinder glow plug isn't playing the game.
BUT.... On further investigation, there is no signal at any of the injector heads, but there is signal at the cam and crank sensors. Therefore the bugger still won't start as the injectors aren't getting a signal to fire.... This one has me really stumped.
Has anyone any suggestions where to follow on from here?...
there is a long number on the injector thats needs to be programmed into the ecu

but like said won't prevent starting...

If you still have diagnostics available, check rail pressure while cranking, should be around 200bar. Low pressure is not giving permission to inject, but does not trigger fault code either. 270CDI does not need bleeding, sometimes just plenty of cranking.

Is it a new injector ?
Had this on a sprinter , the new injector was stuck open ! Causing compression to go back into the fuel pipes meaning it could not bleed up due to air in the system.
Took some finding as the new injector was the last thing you would think was faulty

but like said won't prevent starting...

If you still have diagnostics available, check rail pressure while cranking, should be around 200bar. Low pressure is not giving permission to inject, but does not trigger fault code either. 270CDI does not need bleeding, sometimes just plenty of cranking.
Hmmmmmmmmmmm.............. Did *lots* of cranking, with jump leads attached to allow longer strarting... I'll ask a local garage if they can test the pressure at the rail... Thaniks to all for suggestions

Have you checked all the connectors on the injectors, any stripped wires or bad connections? Seems odd that it was running with the old injector, would make you think the lower pressure pump would all be ok.

yep loosen injectro may caus non starting but again that should trigger a code. But worth to check since only one has beem 'maintained', pins can withdraw when plugging connector in.

Is this W210 or W211 (fuel systems are different...)

yep loosen injectro may caus non starting but again that should trigger a code. But worth to check since only one has beem 'maintained', pins can withdraw when plugging connector in.

Is this W210 or W211 (fuel systems are different...)
It's a 211, and I hadn't thught about the conneciton pics... Good suggestion !.
I'll see what the pins are like, and run through the connectors generally

RESULT !
When I initially removed injector 1, I needed to remove the top of the injector where the piezo unit is to be able to get a spanner on to the body to twist gently to assist removal.
Errantly, I LOST the minute "pip" (Not a ball as some suggest) mounted in the jet hole. This I spotted AFTER I tried to start the car, and realised something was wrong.
SO... I inspected injector 2 for missing items, and that's how I discovered the missing pip.
A replacement injector was purchased from eBay. (It's what I can afford at the moment) and fitted into port 1 after a good clean up of the black death crud.
When I reassembled the top of injector 2, that pip cocked to one side under the pressure plate when I reassembled it. The injector was not removed, only the top nut/piezo unit.
In hindsight, I should have researched better, or watched what went where.
Cranking for ages still failed to get the engine to fire because that pip was not seated, therefore the injector was open, and pressure could not build up sufficiently to get the common rail to work.
Further inspection revealed my problem, so with a magnifying glass, tweezers and some care I reseated that damn pip into injector 2 jet, carefully reattached the top piezo unit. Attached all the pipes and clips... and the bugger started first time "
Pic attached for reference in case some other poor soul has a similar issue

Attachments

• Injector Pip.jpg
    Injector Pip.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
AH... you should have said you were OPENED injector.... you are not first person who has managed to lost that precious little jewel.

When working with piezos, it is recommended to keep them vertical position if possible, or at least ensure there is fuel inside. For some reson I have read many cases where injector was stuck when it was driven 'dry' after maitenance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom