A or B class ???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stuart O

Car
C 250cdi est.
planning to change wifes car from a honda which we have never really liked to a smaller hatch - main consideration is that we need to get 2 sets of golf clubs in back, either the boot or with a seat folded..

would appreciate your thoughts on best diesel engine per model - looking at 12 K tops and pref automatic - any thoughts out there ??

Stuart

I had a previous model A-Class of which the only diesel at the time was the A170CDi.
The boot wasn't quite big enough for bags of golf clubs unless you remove the woods from the bag first & lay them in seperately (or fold one of the rear seats. However, the new model is probably slightly bigger.

They are however surprisingly practical cars:-
Family of 4 & luggage & 2 sets golf clubs for a week in Scotland - no problem
All the seats out & collected a 6' x 3' snooker table!

Suggest you take your golf clubs to your local dealer & ask to try them in the boot of the 2 types.

We have a B class (but petrol). Think you will find a B as roomy & versatile, if not more so, than your ML, but much more compact & economical. It is shorter than my C-coupe(just). Current ones are 180 & 200 diesel. We can fit a double & a single buggy into our boot, so sure you would manage clubs!
Click on link in my signature for our thoughts on B class(W245)

As Piff says- try them both

Without folding the rear seats down, you won't get golf clubs in the back of the current model A class without taking the driver and other longer clubs out and laying them diagonally.

its a PITA actually, as I have to do it often.

My brother is a mad golfer and has an A. he gets the clubs,trolley etc in the boot but the drivers need to go on the back seat. Not ideal but it works.

The B class is no wider in the boot (same chassis). BUT it is deeper fore and aft. Might get in diagonally? Try at a dealer.

the A 180cdi is a very nice gutsy engine and popular. The same engine is fine in the B class but the 200cdi is that bit quicker.

I had auto versions of the A and B and liked a lot. My brother has the manual A160cdi and does phenomenal miles per gallon (well over 60 on a run) but the acceleration is pretty leisurely. Drive them is the best advice.

Hi Hawk,

Why did you get rid of the A classes? It wasnt that long ago you were singing their praises. What changed?

I never understand this sort of thread? Do alot of women only like cars if they look small??
Why not buy a nice C220cdi estate?? It would do everything you want, just as easy to drive, plus it would give you something nice to drive when the ML is getting on your nerves, and you have the added bonus that you don't look like you're in a girls car if you ever need to drive it!!

I'm not sure they are that much more expensive.

2006 56 plate A180cdi auto is about £11/12k with 30k miles on it and a C220cdi estate auto is about £13/14k again with 30k miles on it, you can knock a grand off that easily at the moment maybe two. So you could be in a really nice C220cdi estate within budget.

It was a genuine question about women only liking small looking cars though.
It always seem that the woman has some small hatchback, just wondering why that is??

Haha.

That must be it. ;)

Mrs D's car is much bigger than mine!!

Can't comment on accommodation for golf clubs, but I have some views on driving both the A and B Classes.

I've been pottering around in a B180 CDi. I fancy getting something smaller for shopping and stuff, and assumed the B180 CDi would be noticeably better than the A150 petrol I've tried before.

Inside the B was great, but no better than the A. But I was really dissappointed with the engine. I was expecting it to be quite torquey compared the to A150 but it felt lethargic by comparison. Wasn't that much in it from a fuel economy point of view either.

Made me think it's better to have the petrol, and keep a few quid in the sky rocket to offset against the slightly worse fuel consumption.

What's your anticipated annual mileage? You may prefer petrol if it's not too many..... just a thought..

I also agree with gizze -- go look at a w203 estate...or do you prefer FWD?

I was expecting it to be quite torquey compared the to A150 but it felt lethargic by comparison.

That's quite some achievement, did you forget to start it.?

Speaking of the old A-Class, at the time we had test drives there was only the A140 & A160 petrols & the A170 diesel. We tried the 160 & 170 and found the diesel to be much sharper, due to the higer torque.

You could always get two of these:

golf_gp.jpg

That's quite some achievement, did you forget to start it.?

It surprised me too - until I drove it I really thought the B180 would be leagues ahead in terms of performance.

Or, maybe my sensible mind cancelled out any benefit my passionate heart might detect on the basis that the B180 is ~50% more expensive than an A150!! :eek: That's a lot!!

planning to change wifes car from a honda which we have never really liked to a smaller hatch - main consideration is that we need to get 2 sets of golf clubs in back, either the boot or with a seat folded..

would appreciate your thoughts on best diesel engine per model - looking at 12 K tops and pref automatic - any thoughts out there ??

Stuart
toyota verso

I'm not sure they are that much more expensive.

2006 56 plate A180cdi auto is about £11/12k with 30k miles on it and a C220cdi estate auto is about £13/14k again with 30k miles on it, you can knock a grand off that easily at the moment maybe two. So you could be in a really nice C220cdi estate within budget.

It was a genuine question about women only liking small looking cars though.
It always seem that the woman has some small hatchback, just wondering why that is??

In the process of finalising a deal on a 06 A180Cdi SE Avantgarde - very very low miles, MB approved used. Price £8k!!! Never been a better time to ask for a good deal.

As for comparing new A/B class to older C class. IMO no comparison in terms of quality. Only the new C comes up to the quality benchmark of the new Mercs. and they are still mega bucks.

As for the women / small car thing - I don't quite get that. My Mrs has been driving large MPV's for years (Chrysler Grand Voyager- dont come much bigger) and whilst i don't have a preferance on size, I have no hang ups on driving a smaller cars so long as they are practicle, reliable and well built.

Does make me wonder sometimes what the "big bonnet" thing is replacing in the mind of the fella who wouldnt drive anything else.!! lol

Mr W - happily married 2 kids, one dog and very much in touch with his feminine side (it would seem):rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom