A or B class ???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That seems like a good deal - how much higher was the sticker price?

The problem with the diesel autos in the A & B class is that the gearbox is a horrible whining CVT.

They would be sooo much nicer with a proper auto box (or even an automated manual for that matter) ...

The problem with the diesel autos in the A & B class is that the gearbox is a horrible whining CVT.

They would be sooo much nicer with a proper auto box (or even an automated manual for that matter) ...

I think they whine if they are underpowered!
Our car accelerates hard at 1800 revs. the speed picks up with no/little increase in engine speed due to the altering gear ratio. There are also no transmission delays.
Sometimes the engine revs may even drop when accelerating!
The B200T is faster than both our prev BMW330 conv & my C230K coupe. The CVT auto has faster 0-60 times than the manual!

The whole design of the A/B is based around max interior with min exterior; to accomplish this they use the sandwich floor, engine under feet & I presume this has design restrictions on the type of engine/gearbox used.
Even though it is fwd, have never managed to wheelspin.

Yes, it is different, but that does not make it any worse. Just takes a little getting used/readjusting to. There are always the manuals

As regards C estate, we also looked into this- approx £10K extra for similar spec/performance, and I do not believe there is as much load flexibility or passenger space in the C-class. The B class is said to have at least as much passenger space as an E-class.

£8k does sound pretty good.

I know a C220cdi estate is not going to be £8k, but they are now at £12k which I believe was the budget, with bargaining, for a sub 30k mile car.
I just sold my 320d M-Sport auto for £23k last month and so glad I did, prices are just falling through the floor!

That sounds like a lot of car for £8k. And to think some people will be paying more for a Citroen!! hahahaha the fools!! ;)
You'll hear them saying "ooh, but I do like the comfort of a full 3 years warranty"
Yeah, if I bought a French car so would I!!

Having a constant engine revolution speed as the CVT gears adapt to suit the increasing vehicle speed just sounds wrong to me whenever I drive one!

I had 2 Audi CVT's, first was a 2.5tdi A4 avant and then the A6 sport avant, very, very weird gearbox.

Problem I had with it was not the revs though, but there is a delay when pulling away, combine that with the fact both of these were FWD and the thing became dangerous trying to pull out of a junction. You used to get almost a second delay and then because the back squats down the front wheels loose traction.
When it got to late October and the roads got damp it became a real problem, and my wife refused to drive it, you had to try and judge gaps a second ahead and then prey that you didn't get your nose out into the road and your wheels just sit and spin.

I have not driven the Mercedes version, and I think with RWD you won't get the same problem exaggerated like you do with the Audi.

The only Mercs with CVT boxes are fwd, so you may still get your 'Audi problems'.

The only Mercs with CVT boxes are fwd, so you may still get your 'Audi problems'.

Oh right. :eek:

So, thought about a C220cdi estate for the same money?? :D

Having a constant engine revolution speed as the CVT gears adapt to suit the increasing vehicle speed just sounds wrong to me whenever I drive one!

Yup.

But you get used to it.:)

That really is not so. I had the CVT box in my A180cdi and it was terrific. Smoother than the S class. And at 80 mph the engine was only doing 2,000 revs. Virtually inaudible. Brilliant boxes IMO. Plenty of torque so most of the time just using 1250 to 2500 revs. Relaxing and quiet. And of course amazing fuel economy very close to a manual because you always have the right gear ratio.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom