A or B Service - weird Assyst

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

crockers

MB Enthusiast
Car
XC60 MY2014 SeLux Nav plus lot and lots of toys...
Something really odd has happened - for the past few month my assyst has been counting down the miles to the next service saying things like A Service in 3000 miles then dropping every 100 - the other day I drove it and it said A service in 1300 miles - today it popped up to remind me that B service is due in 1200 miles - why has it changed from A to B ? is that normal ? Has it recognised that in the past few weeks I have been doing a lot of start stop traffic whereas in the past it was a lot of motorway driving?

Weird of what - as that's another few quid popped :eek:

Something really odd has happened - for the past few month my assyst has been counting down the miles to the next service saying things like A Service in 3000 miles then dropping every 100 - the other day I drove it and it said A service in 1300 miles - today it popped up to remind me that B service is due in 1200 miles - why has it changed from A to B ? is that normal ? Has it recognised that in the past few weeks I have been doing a lot of start stop traffic whereas in the past it was a lot of motorway driving?

Weird of what - as that's another few quid popped :eek:
It's because you went over an interval of either time or miles that makes a B service more appropriate than an A.

thanks - should have had it sooner then and not waited for computer to tell me to get it done.....:crazy:

thanks - should have had it sooner then and not waited for computer to tell me to get it done.....:crazy:

I wouldn't agonise about it. How would you have known?

Assyst is a nice idea but the lack of transparency is annoying.

That happened to me once.

The system suddenly went from 3000 miles to and A to 1200 miles to a B

On the usual weekend fluid and tyres pressure checks, the car needed some oil so I topped it up with just under .75 litre and when I got in and drove it a bit later it ASSYST had magically moved back 1500 miles to next service!!

I.e. now 2700 to an A

Curious.

Cheers

The ML switched from an A to a B Service pretty much on the day it went in for the service. I mentioned it to the dealer, and they said they would do the A Service if the customer asks them too.

I simply said I want it spot on, do whatever is required to make it such.

Might be worth mentioning it to them though.

That happened to me once.

The system suddenly went from 3000 miles to and A to 1200 miles to a B

On the usual weekend fluid and tyres pressure checks, the car needed some oil so I topped it up with just under .75 litre and when I got in and drove it a bit later it ASSYST had magically moved back 1500 miles to next service!!

I.e. now 2700 to an A
Believe it or not the engine has a sensor in it that determines oil quality by how much light passes through it! If the oil quality improves ASSYST assumes you've done some maintenance and gives you a bit longer :)

I've noticed that topping up can 'slow' the Assyst 'countdown to cost' counter. I guess the potential problem with this is that the extra oil delays the service in terms of mile/time just enough to get you from an 'A' up to a 'B'.

Is it true that Assyst doesn't exist on new models?...can't believe it didn't keep teh cash rolling in..

The ML switched from an A to a B Service pretty much on the day it went in for the service. I mentioned it to the dealer, and they said they would do the A Service if the customer asks them too.

I simply said I want it spot on, do whatever is required to make it such.

Might be worth mentioning it to them though.

Hi - just spoke to 2 dealers - Swindon was a dippy woman (not being sexist) but she didnt know the difference between the two. Said I could have what ever I wanted done to the car...when I telephoned Cheltenham had an intelligent conversation and was told why it had happened - also that they would do an A service if I wanted but wouldnt stamp the service book as the car needs a B - especially when I told him I had done 32,000 miles since new (dec 2005) and had a service at 16,700 (B too)...but Company paid for that one.

Had a look at service contracts and cant see how they save money - just spreads the cost over the period with a healthy margin to MB...would be good if everyone who has a service contract running kept a log of work done and costings and compared the two...any one done that?

:rock:

ps also surprised that B service in Swindon costs £480 and same in Cheltenham £435..... called Oxford and they wanted £424... all way too expensive but without the stamp car plummets in value......."short and curlys".....and I didnt buy a Porsche cos I was scared of the servicing costs...pmsl

Last edited:
Had a look at service contracts and cant see how they save money - just spreads the cost over the period with a healthy margin to MB...would be good if everyone who has a service contract running kept a log of work done and costings and compared the two...any one done that?
It's Service Plus specifically that has the potential to save money, compared to paying for servicing and an extended warranty. This is why you'll read people suggesting taking it up at the third anniversary when the factory warranty expires.

The B Service with spark plugs on my C32 with transmission oil change would be around £850 if memory serves, or about £70 per month. On top of this a Tier 1 warranty is about £600 or about £50 per month. When I did an anlysis last year, Service Plus was £54 per month which is obviously cheaper just the service cost, never mind the avoided spend on Tier 1. Gutted bunny here.

Same happened to me, ASSYST became confused in its final few days. In the end they just did an A service and now its showing XXXX thousand to an E service I think. Yes, the ASSYT has been dropped as far as I know.

Portzy.

Same happened to me, ASSYST became confused in its final few days. In the end they just did an A service and now its showing XXXX thousand to an E service I think. Yes, the ASSYT has been dropped as far as I know.

Portzy.

What's an E service

What's an E service

TBH I dont have a clue :eek: , exactly, but some folks have said its similar to an A some have said its similar to B but in each case it includes plugs and pollen filters. All I know is it sounds deceptively exBensive but luckily its about two years away at the rate my SLK clocks up the miles.

Portzy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom