A or B service?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Markw70

Car
E220d AMG Line Coupe
I was playing around with the display on my car and I had a look at the service section and it says B service in so many days, but looking at the service history print out they gave me when I bought the car the last 2 have also been B services. The last service in May was a B. The mileage between the two B’s was less than 2000 miles. I can only guess the last owner put it through a service months earlier than due before trade in and to their credit payed for new rear pads and the transmission service plus other items over and above the other B service list of parts on the printout , and it now says the next is also a B, it seems a little excessive 3 B’s in a row. Do the dealers go with the service the car suggests or what their database says? Or is it just a simple case of the car thinks the last service was an A which it should of been so the next should be a B?

Sounds like somebody hasn't updated the assyst plus service intervals on your car which is usually done for every service.

I would look at your car manual and figure out based on the age of the car what your next service should be however with what you have described is that it should be a A Service. If you go to a dealer they should be able to advise you or if you have a full MB or Independent History and the digital service record has been updated then go to MB's website and click book a service. It will usually advise you what your next service should be providing the digital service record is up to date.

Sounds like somebody hasn't updated the assyst plus service intervals on your car which is usually done for every service.

I would look at your car manual and figure out based on the age of the car what your next service should be however with what you have described is that it should be a A Service. If you go to a dealer they should be able to advise you or if you have a full MB or Independent History and the digital service record has been updated then go to MB's website and click book a service. It will usually advise you what your next service should be providing the digital service record is up to date.
Thanks for the reply, yes it’s full MB history. I will talk to the dealer.

Thanks for the reply, yes it’s full MB history. I will talk to the dealer.

Have a look here, it will tell you the next service thats due.

As part of me buying my car last year, I wanted the garage to have a full B service done, which they agreed to although it should have been an A service. Cost to them from memory about £1400. This year, the service indicator in the car said it was due a B service, but had hardly done any miles in the year so spoke to the garage & they agreed that it only needed an A service. I have a 2 year service plan so next year it will get the B service.

Have a look here, it will tell you the next service thats due.
I’ve just put the details in and it does come back saying a A service which is good, apart from it’s automatically quoting in the extra work for a gearbox service which was carried out in May and is shown on the serv history printout I have, so I know it’s been done already. For a basic A service the MB dealers round me seem to vary significantly one quote was £228 another was £313. Thanks again for the advice it was useful 👍

As part of me buying my car last year, I wanted the garage to have a full B service done, which they agreed to although it should have been an A service. Cost to them from memory about £1400. This year, the service indicator in the car said it was due a B service, but had hardly done any miles in the year so spoke to the garage & they agreed that it only needed an A service. I have a 2 year service plan so next year it will get the B service.
The service plan is something I’m looking into at the moment, for 3 services paid monthly I’m being quoted £42 per month.

When you say 'the garage', do you mean an MB dealer?

And the Service A you mentioned was the first service on the Service Care Plan - i.e. you wanted to have A-B rather than B-A?

The service plan is something I’m looking into at the moment, for 3 services paid monthly I’m being quoted £42 per month.
With the service plans, just make sure its worth your while as you could end up paying more than the actual cost of the service. The only advantage of the plan is that you are protected against price rises. If you pay 42 over 12 months that 504 vs the prices you quoted above. There's a lot of good independent garages who have all the latest tools and can update your digital service record as well and can be cheaper than Merc. If you do service it through MB directly then you do get the added benefit of Mobilo which could pay for itself.

When you say 'the garage', do you mean an MB dealer?

And the Service A you mentioned was the first service on the Service Care Plan - i.e. you wanted to have A-B rather than B-A?
Garage was MB dealer but car was bought in England. I stay in Scotland so use my local MB dealer. When I took out the service plan, I never thought about what came first A-B or B-A. I wanted a 2 year plan.
So it was out of sync as I asked for the B service when buying the car. When I booked it in this year for the first year of my plan the digital display said B, but that's what I had last year. They happily gave me an A & said it would be B next year
I only took out the plan as I was getting a good deal if paying the whole thing up front not monthly

You should get the price of what 3 services would cost you. You will be paying £1512 for your plan & compare. (factor in that service costs will probably increase a bit over the 3 years)
When I got mine, paying monthly was not really worth it as they were running a promotion for paying the whole cost upfront which did save a fair amount. Ask if they are running any promotions just now

You should get the price of what 3 services would cost you. You will be paying £1512 for your plan & compare. (factor in that service costs will probably increase a bit over the 3 years)
When I got mine, paying monthly was not really worth it as they were running a promotion for paying the whole cost upfront which did save a fair amount. Ask if they are running any promotions just now
If I do take out the service plan I would pay for my next service which should be a A service, and then take it out, that said there’s a good independent near by, so that’s definitely an option. It’s all to easy to dismiss £42 per month, but when you work it out like your figure above £1542 it’s a significant amount.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom