A Permanent Badge Fixing Solution- Advice Req'd

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

developer

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Volvo V90 D5 AWD
So I've bought an genuine AMG grill badge (thanks Phil) :thumb:, as per photo one - was it an expensive bit of plastic? - don't ask :crazy:.

Photo One

It fixes to the black plastic strip in between the silver "blades" shown in photo two, using two self tapping screws, driven through the strip into the rear of the badge

Photo Two

However, as a facelift car, it seems the entire bumper has to come off to gain access to the rear of the grill (thanks WN) and I'm not prepared to do that - instructions for fitting an aftermarket grill confirm that the bumper has to be removed/refitted and advise professional help be sought, indicating a 2 to 2 1/2 hour job.

So, I need to bond the badge in place and I'm looking for solutions (npi).
I know a bead of silicon will do the job, but I expect won't be permanent.
A good quality double sided tape might do it, but I don't want the badge to protrude any further than it's meant to (though a couple of mm would be ok I guess).

Here's the back of the badge, so you can see the mating face I have to work with. It doesn't look it, but the back is smooth and flat. I haven't yet established how close the mating faces are to each other.

Suggestions to my first world problem please and I'm looking at a named product recommendation :thumb:.
I've considered solvent weld, (as in waste pipe plumbing) but that needs plastics of a particular type to work.

Photo Three

number plate sticky pads?

I've stuck meny a badge on with 3M tape and none have come off, in fact they can be a pain to remove once stuck in place

I got mine from here
Z68HvPGEohzY9YSffXNaHEasrI0ybSW_z9ZlKcJJKBBoC2oDw_wcB

I'd go with Araldite too, or similar epoxy

Personally I wouldn't fit it but you know this anyway. :D

Double sided tape is what is used on your wing and boot badges, so if it's good enough for OEM...

Personally I wouldn't fit it but you know this anyway. :D

Double sided tape is what is used on your wing and boot badges, so if it's good enough for OEM...

Gotta watch that protrusion Dave - I'm liking contact adhesive that will find it's own level.

Gorilla Glue. Kept the wife quiet for years.

Silicone would be my first port of call, the cheap stuff has held my house number on to the pillar for 8 years, come to think of it I drove past an previous house of ours and the number was still there after about 18 years!

Failing that, the number plate double sided sticky tape will do it. They manage to keep number plates in place for years on end.

I'd be windy about drilling it just for a bit of bling.

Silicone would be my first port of call, the cheap stuff has held my house number on to the pillar for 8 years, come to think of it I drove past an previous house of ours and the number was still there after about 18 years!

Failing that, the number plate double sided sticky tape will do it. They manage to keep number plates in place for years on end.

I'd be windy about drilling it just for a bit of bling.

I can't/won't use the fixings - it has to be adhered somehow.

I can't/won't use the fixings - it has to be adhered somehow.

In that case there is a really good silicone, you probably know better then me.

I had some which the builder left on a previous home build which has been excellent. It takes ages to 'go off' but sticks like nothing else. Alternatively Wicks sold me some good stuff last year which worked well for about £8.

Do you know any window fitters? They's be in a good position to advise.

In that case there is a really good silicone, you probably know better then me.

I had some which the builder left on a previous home build which has been excellent. It takes ages to 'go off' but sticks like nothing else. Alternatively Wicks sold me some good stuff last year which worked well for about £8.

Do you know any window fitters? They's be in a good position to advise.

The problem I have with silicon is that the contact area is small (c6mm x 50mm) and the car gets hosed in that area regularly when being washed, so I'd like a more permanent "solid" fix that a cured contact adhesive will give. Silicon remains rubbery and pliable.

At this price I can't afford to arrive somewhere to find it's gone :eek:.

I have used 3M Auto acrylic double sided tape to attach rubbing strips to the door of my daughter's Golf in the past. I was impressed with its 'stickability'.

As Bennyboy states above, I would think its the best means for attaching your badge.

I like the badge a lot!
When you say expensive was it one of those typical car scenarios where you knew it would cost but can't quite believe how much? :D

I think an earlier posters suggestion of Gorilla glue might be worth trying.
Many will chuckle but I actually used a small amount of Blu Tack to attach an 'R' badge to the front grille of my Jag.
It was the same story, I bought the part but then realised it was basically remove the front bumper to fit.
The badge was fairly cheap so wasn't too worried about it falling off, incredibly it was still stuck fast nearly 3 years on!

However this would be no good for you with such a small contact area.

My experience with sticky number plate strips has been mixed, I think in very hot conditions the adhesive can loosen up a bit.

Hope you get it on securely and it stays there.

I have a mate who works for 3M and talks about them rather too much.

3M tape I am told is good stuff....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom