A policeman just when you need one :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Perfectly legal to stop on the shoulder to speak to a police officer if you have concern another's actions may endanger the public

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

I never suggested otherwise. It was more of glib observation after a pal stopped to report a dangerous driver and got warned his bumper was dangerous (it wasn't).

However, link please.... (btw I know you can stop to use the phones but I can't remember ever seeing anything that says it is ok to pull up and knock on the cops' window)

Last edited:
A highlight of our fantastic two week holiday in France in June last year was on the return journey. On the Peripherique a blinged white BMW x6 was beating up the traffic weaving causing vehicles to brake etc. and it carried on into the distance. Ten minutes two police motorcyclists ( in shirt sleeves! ) on blues and twos cut through the traffic and five minutes later we saw said BMW being pulled over by the cops. Who says you never see Police when you need them?

Why is it illegal to use a hand-held phone whilst driving, but not illegal per se to use a hands-free device?

"Since 1 December 2003 it has been illegal to drive in the UK while using a hand held mobile phone. Previous to this legislation the only way a motorist would face prosecution for using a mobile phone would be if they were charged with failing to keep control of their car while they were using it.

The law states that it is illegal to ride a motorbike or drive a car while you are using a hand held communication device. Hands free phones may be used, but they are ultimately a distraction and you are still open to a charge of careless driving should a police officer think you are driving poorly while using one."

The mobile phone should not need to be held at any point, not even when dialing.

There are two scenarios that meet this requirement. The first is a cradle or holder, the second is Bluetooth which allows dialing from the car's dash while the phone is in the driver's pocket.

As for speakers and microphone... wired earphones are not allowed. Bluetooth earpiece is fine, having the phone on speaker or connected to the car's Hi-Fi is also fine.

As for speakers and microphone... wired earphones are not allowed. Bluetooth earpiece is fine, having the phone on speaker or connected to the car's Hi-Fi is also fine.

Just curious - where did that last piece come from ?

I remember back to the old days of the Nokia 6310 etc and a wired earpiece with mic halfway down the cable , incorporating an 'answer' button , was sold as a handsfree kit . I actually used one for a while , with the phone in my pocket and it required no more effort or caused any more distraction than a fully installed handsfree kit .

For a while I had a Nokia handsfree kit installed in my cars , then went over to the thb Bury kits once I moved onto iPhones - these days I don't bother with any and just don't use the phone whilst driving .

While the subject of the video is both alarming and amusing is there really any need for the commentator to swear every third word? Are people really so stupid and inarticulate that they have to talk like that all the time? :mad:

Yes, I'm afraid many of them are these days. Foul language is the last response of the inarticulate...

It is a pet hate of mine.................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5dL4DPm-DE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh3pTwGNPMQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weStPoU9-64

He looked (camera height) like a professional driver (lorry/coach), when you rack up as many miles as he probably has and seen as much driving stupidy carelessness and idiocy (possibly been party to some of it as well), that's the response when finally some justice is served to the person driving in that manner.

I imagine the Police used some colourful language too when the offender brake tested them.

Undertaking isn't against the law but lane hogging is under new law/rules apparently.

Last edited:
It is a pet hate of mine.................

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M5dL4DPm-DE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mh3pTwGNPMQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weStPoU9-64

He looked (camera height) like a professional driver (lorry/coach), when you rack up as many miles as he probably has and seen as much driving stupidy carelessness and idiocy (possibly been party to some of it as well), that's the response when finally some justice is served to the person driving in that manner.

I imagine the Police used some colourful language too when the offender brake tested them.

Undertaking isn't against the law but lane hogging is under new law/rules apparently.

That first video has been posted a few times and really grates on me, the lorry driver seems so childish somehow.

Where do we stand these days on undertaking then? I thought it was still a no no in the highway code?

I've had situations where I have undertaken, though not by choice entirely. Basically, I'm pottering along in the left most lane. Lane two is full of people who don't want to be in lane one (for whatever reason) and are bunching up. Then, someone ahead taps their brakes / someone cuts someone up and the whole line brakes concertina fashion. Me, still travelling at the same steady speed suddenly find myself doing 20-30 mph more than those to my right who were moments before doing a staggering 0.5 - 1mph more than me. I of course slow down - doubtless some will just chop across me trying to deliberately undertake those in front of them, the lane is largely empty after all (not that they noticed until just now!) - but I'll not go full on the brakes as they are.

Issue is, what if someone rammed into me from the right - not looking before they lane change as is so very common - and I get the blame for having been "undertaking" at the time? It's a tricky one no doubt, but it seems to happen a lot is fairly heavy traffic. Everyone wants to be in the "overtaking" lane, whereas I'd rather just potter along in the "slow" lane when traffic is that heavy. Usually it means I'd arrive at my destination a lot more relaxed.

Don't get me wrong, I overtake and make progress as conditions permit. But I found years ago that this becomes somewhat pointless (and quite exhausting) when traffic is heavy. I'd rather potter along, a little slower than I'd ideally like, but be relaxed and listen to music.

Scoob.

Just recalled our first trip to Florida. We'd slowed to pay our quarters on the toll road back to Sanford, and a tipper had for some reason taking exception - tooting his horn etc.

Seconds later the Highway Patrol car behind him lit up.....

Where do we stand these days on undertaking then? I thought it was still a no no in the highway code?

I've had situations where I have undertaken, though not by choice entirely. Basically, I'm pottering along in the left most lane. Lane two is full of people who don't want to be in lane one (for whatever reason) and are bunching up. Then, someone ahead taps their brakes / someone cuts someone up and the whole line brakes concertina fashion. Me, still travelling at the same steady speed suddenly find myself doing 20-30 mph more than those to my right who were moments before doing a staggering 0.5 - 1mph more than me. I of course slow down - doubtless some will just chop across me trying to deliberately undertake those in front of them, the lane is largely empty after all (not that they noticed until just now!) - but I'll not go full on the brakes as they are.

Issue is, what if someone rammed into me from the right - not looking before they lane change as is so very common - and I get the blame for having been "undertaking" at the time? It's a tricky one no doubt, but it seems to happen a lot is fairly heavy traffic. Everyone wants to be in the "overtaking" lane, whereas I'd rather just potter along in the "slow" lane when traffic is that heavy. Usually it means I'd arrive at my destination a lot more relaxed.

Don't get me wrong, I overtake and make progress as conditions permit. But I found years ago that this becomes somewhat pointless (and quite exhausting) when traffic is heavy. I'd rather potter along, a little slower than I'd ideally like, but be relaxed and listen to music.

Scoob.

Rule 268 Highway Code applies. It's ok to overtake on the inside in the conditions you describe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom