A question about rust

Discussion in 'Bodywork' started by Inkyskin, Jul 26, 2008.

1. Inkyskin

Inkyskin Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Something I've been wondering lately... If a car is 10 years old, and only has a relatively small amount of rust - why would people only have an expectancy of 4/5 years before it returned if sanded down, treated and resprayed?

Surely you would expect another 10 years or so out of it?

2. Frank O' Phile

Frank O' Phile Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    gone
    My theory is because you are still using rusty metal. All the sanding, prepping coating and other stuff is only to deter the rust that will still be there no matter how hard you scrub.

I'm sure Glojo will be along shortly to point out that shot blasting only serves to drive the rust particles into the metal. :D

Whereas with new panels from the factory, they are made using fresh metals and coated in suitable substances to delay the all too enevitable and eventual rust.

3. OP
    OP
    Inkyskin

Inkyskin Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Thanks, that makes more sense to me now :D

4. glojo

glojo MB Club Veteran

Car:
    S211 Sprinter 213CDI, & the new T-class
    Bet he won't :devil: :)

Where ever it is practicle I reckon Glojo would recommend new panels. ;)

Regards
    John

5. NW_Merc

NW_Merc Banned

Car:
    1994 Mercedes C180 classic
    So what is the best treatment to keep rust at bay for long periods? Is Waxoyl an effective treatment? I read somewhere that it's called a rust killer....

6. Dieselman

Dieselman Banned

Car:
    Peugeot 403 Convertible
    Do you mean to treat rust or delay it's onset inside closed sections or out of sight panels.

Waxoyl is a protective coating and works by creating a barrier to moisture. it's not the most effective of it's product type but with regular re-application can seriously prolong the life of a panel.

To treat existing rust it needs wire brushing out, then treating with phosphoric acid, painting with an anti rust primer, then a topcoat.

7. bonithol

bonithol New Member

Hi. Re Rust. You can't reverse the process. Once the metal has gone to a salt (rust) the best you can do is passivate (prevent the formation of chemical and electro-chemical salts, surface rust and scab corrision respectively Best of course is to replace with a properly passivated new panel. If not treatment with a phosphoric acid passivator, 2 pack epoxy primer, next again 2 pack epoxy primer with micro glass beads if there are indentations. Multi coats give better results than one thick in difficult situations.

Box sections demand good ventilation and poor design will always result in rust unless the interior gets a very good primer system. Interior wax treatment are only as good as their applicators.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2008
Tags: