A question for you Developer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Danny DeVito

Car
V220 CDI
If you want to put a doorway in a gable wall, is it safe to just knock a hole in it ? Do you put two single cills or a wide cill ? Standard door size. ?? :dk:

If you want to put a doorway in a gable wall, is it safe to just knock a hole in it ? Do you put two single cills or a wide cill ? Standard door size. ?? :dk:

Wherever the brickwork is removed you'll need to support the above. Do you mean lintel?

ha ha ha , well i'm caught sleeping on that one. Yes i mean Lintel. How would you suggest supporting the brick work on the end wall of a bungalow ? I propose to knock a hole into the low garage on the end. The roof frames do not attach to the gable wall. So i have seen builders support the ceiling to allow wall removal but the end wall has nothing on it apart from a small portion of the roof weight.

All far too involved.

Just take out the bricks you need on one wall first, insert lintel and then do the other. Nothing will fall in such a small (1 metre) opening. It would be impossible for the wall to collapse. Though if there is a window in the wall above then brace it first by framing the opening with 2x4s.

Maybe if you were putting in double doors you would prop it...but not for a simple door opening...especially if a relatively new building with sound mortar.

Last edited:
All far too involved.

Just take out the bricks you need on one wall first, insert lintel and then do the other. Nothing will fall in such a small (1 metre) opening. It would be impossible for the wall to collapse. Though if there is a window in the wall above then brace it first by framing the opening with 2x4s.

Maybe if you were putting in double doors you would prop it...but not for a simple door opening...especially if a relatively new building with sound mortar.

Worrying, very worrying.

Perhaps getting a builder round to do the job would be best?

Save having to explain to the council/police/dog rescue teams that your house fell down because you asked for advice about knocking big holes in it on a car forum?

All far too involved.

You are of course assuming a double-skinned wall...

I find that it's always better to be safe than sorry when it comes to altering the structure of a house ;)

M.

Perhaps getting a builder round to do the job would be best?

Save having to explain to the council/police/dog rescue teams that your house fell down because you asked for advice about knocking big holes in it on a car forum?

What are you saying??
That forum advice could possibly be wrong / has ever been wrong???:dk:

What are you saying??
That forum advice could possibly be wrong / has ever been wrong???:dk:

As if.

Knocking big holes in the walls of your house based on googling and asking people on a car forum, what could possibly go wrong...:dk:

As if.

Knocking big holes in the walls of your house based on googling and asking people on a car forum, what could possibly go wrong...:dk:

I guess so, however there are many member on here who have diverse skills and various background trades.

For example, I have used legal advice obtained from the forum to help me out in the past.

You are of course assuming a double-skinned wall...

I find that it's always better to be safe than sorry when it comes to altering the structure of a house ;)

M.

I am...but it's even easier on an old 9 inch walled property...remove bricks on one side first, put lintel in, then the other.

Can you post a photo?

I can offer you an opinion of how I'd do it, but the easiest way if you're unsure, is to get a builder to do it.

1) Construct a door sized hole.

2) Assemble a house around the newly constructed hole.

Holes in walls are often not straight forward and can/do depend on many factors. Not least type of construction of the wall, type of materials, supported and un-supported loadings.

You may get away with it ;ˆ) but if you fail the results can be expensive and have been known to lead some spectacular collapses.

My ex partner neighbours decided to knock their lounge and dining room into a single lounge diner. They did and were very happy with their work. Unfortunately the under-specced RSJ they used started to twist under the weight of my partners house, which started to move into the neighbours living room. Huge insurance bill followed with years of litigation against builders etc. The final conclusion.. The builder did his own structural calculations. The fag packet he used long since gone could not be used in evidence.

Welcome back Nick.

If you want to put a doorway in a gable wall, is it safe to just knock a hole in it ? :dk:

Should be fine. I can't see a problem……

article-0-11E43BE6000005DC-269_634x420.jpg

I'm curious as to how you got this picture of my house ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom