A question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sturge

Car
SL 500 R230 Vito sport X Brabus
Hi all. Does anyone know how the gear selector on a sl r230 acts on the EIS? Just taken mine out and along with the wiring there was a cable that I’m guessing connects to the gear selector. I read somewhere that there is another electronic unit that works in place of the ESL. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

There is a key lock/release cable which is like a spring loaded push pin that holds the key in place unless the lever is in Park.

The gear lever itself doesn’t talk to the EIS but gets a start signal from it (pin no. 8 in the flat 8 pin plug, blue/yellow wire).

Not sure what module you mean by ‘instead of ESL’. The ESL connects to the gear lever when you have Keyless Go (switch in the lever that breaks the circuit when the car is not in Park).

Thanks for that Alex. From what I’ve read, as the SL has no steering lock, it was implied that there was an electronic device on the gear leaver which is part of the hand shake in the immobiliser circuit. Lee

The EIS, ESL and ECU need to confirm they are happy with the key before EIS sends the signal to the starter solenoid (via ECU and SAM). If you don’t have the ESL then the hash for the key has to be emulated. I don’t have access to WIS to verify at the moment but this is how it works in the 211, which shares a lot of parts with the 230. What is the issue you’re experiencing?

I have full WIS for all Mercedes cars so will put my chassis number in and have a look. Thanks again

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom