A registration ??? Monza 3.0 e hatchback "coupe"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DITTRICH

MB Enthusiast
Car
S205 C200SE & W202 C230K
Not a rage incident, but one of the above joined the M11 motorway in the slow lane just in front of me this afternoon. Old banger I thought, but it somehow engaged warp speed and changing to the outside lane, zipped off at around 85mph. I was doing around 70 at the time but was intrigued and caught up with the car a little further on where I read the words "Monza 3.0 e" on the back. I was quite impressed for such an old car. Shame the exhaust seemed rather wobbly and the paintwork was dull, but I guess that is part of its disguise.
Les

Last edited:
Aaaah. One of my teenage automotive wet dreams. Fabulous cars, full of imitation crushed velvet velour and more dials than a jumbo jet.

Yep, an Opel Monza, coupé version of the Senator:

Opel-rear-1.jpg

I had one for a while - in White 3.0 GSE.

Like all poxhalls of that era the fuel pipes perish and if you are lucky they just dump all your fuel on the road :D

Great cars

poxhall version was the Royale :D

Last edited:
yep, had a couple of those, Manta's, Cavalier Sportshatches and the likes....Happy days....

I think there was a thread a we while ago about old Opels.. I love 'em!

Bloody quick cars and brilliant motorway cruisers.

It always amuses me how many drivers of newer cars are amazed/surprised how quick cars of years gone by can be! "My car is newer so that old shed must be slower". "Oh sh!t why can't i keep up?":crazy:

Wake up peeps!!:D The cars from years gone by didn't have all the safety gear imposed on them. They are lighter, have no power sapping catalysts and can be tuned so much more easily without having to re-map and get round all the computer issues that cars these days have to rigidly stay by:ban:

And best of all, they have proper throttle response.. i.e a cable attatched to the engine, not a series of electrical pulses going through multiple ECU's which decide if the amount of right boot you ask for can or will be delivered. I'mm off now before I go into rant mode...

It always amuses me how many drivers of newer cars are amazed/surprised how quick cars of years gone by can be! "My car is newer so that old shed must be slower". "Oh sh!t why can't i keep up?":crazy:
I think you are getting a bit ahead of yourself there.

I haven't seen a Monza or a Manta on the road for years! Loved them when I was a youngster. Even now I still like older cars. On my wish list is an 80's Audi Quattro Turbo :)

Another fan of the Monza (Senator) here too. A great looking car - the later ones especially.

To be fair the Senator that replaced it was equally stealthy in terms of it's performance and was very popular with the motorway police.

It wasn't for nothing the Senator was the "Vehicle of choice" for Police traffic units the length and breadth of the land at one time. Their power-trains were capable of mega miles if serviced well. Eventually mainly displaced by turboed Volvos of the FWD variety I believe when GM Europe began to give up on big saloons allegedly assigning the high end part of their market to SAAB and we all know what a master stroke that was.

Last edited:
Look at that dashboard:cool:

LED styling by Amstrad. Very period. I'd forgotten that the Monza's were blessed with digital instruments, the Vauxhall Royale 3.0 that I used to get a lift to school in occasionally had a much better set of orange needles on black dials.

LED styling by Amstrad. Very period. I'd forgotten that the Monza's were blessed with digital instruments

It was only the later GSE models that had digital dashboards. My dad had a gold Monza 3.0E ,1979 model which had the normal dash clocks,albeit 6 of them.

I had a relative in Germany take me on the autobahn in one around 1988, it had the Knightrider Dash and did 140mph no probs, it was brand new at the time. Opel's verson of the w124 300CE for half the dosh. I was 15 at the time and very impressed. He wrote it off a week later:D

I do recall the vauxhall's coupe Senator was called a Royal. Very Rare

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom