A run around Merc, £1500 budget

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bert_W164

Car
ML (W164)
Hi,

I was planning to make my ML63 the baby wagon, but I realised that means popping to do the grocery shopping and random little journeys with it which I don't think is the best use case - so I'm after a C or E class.

Must haves:
- 4 doors
- Auto box
- Petrol engine
- Isofix rear seat mounts
- Not be gold or that red colour that looks like a sea of blood
- Transparency of any issues the car has, we have a baby due in a matter of weeks

Edit: just wanted to elaborate on this before it seems like I'm asking for the whole world for nothing...just don't want any unexpected surprises, e.g. if a car has an intermittent fault I'd rather just know about it so I can take action. I just want to try and rule out any instances of being stranded with a new born/putting her at risk.

I have a 2003 Audi A4 cab 1.8T which has had a new timing kit, water pump, oil, sparks etc before being put in its slumber, it's not perfect but what I'm getting at is I'd PX it if someone was interested in a trade + cash. Audi needs new brake lines (the soft tubing) and doesn't have a valid MOT.

I'm based right next to Windsor, willing to drive around 60-70 miles max, as the Mrs would need to drive back by herself if I buy a car and she's 8 months pregnant so I don't want her doing a long trek 😋

Final edit: the ML63 isn't up for trade 😈 and ready to buy as soon as a car is available.

Last edited:
Moderators, unless I'm being daft I can't close this thread, I've got a run around now so this can be closed. 😁

Hey @Lenny63, I hope we can still be friends after this, but a VW Golf TD GTI 140. It was well priced (super high milage), runs very well and I'm enjoying 40-55mpg.
Best car in the real world. Love our MK6

Best car in the real world. Love our MK6
It's funny you say that, I have really been enjoying myself in it, I can go wide on throttle for a while and look at the speedo and remain within speed limits while enjoying it.

Where as with the ML, a few seconds can land you in a lot of trouble 😅

Edit: just noticed I completely butchered the model, it's in fact a Golf GT TDI 140, paint work is peeling and the drivers side arches have started to bubble, but thanks to its high milage the previous owner was forced to change the shocks and springs a year ago, so it handles extremely well and drives extremely well. Other than the dodgy paint, there's no way telling from the interior or drive that it's done...wait for it...249500 miles 🤯

Clutch is fine with no slip, no demonic judders from DMF, no odd noises from the turbo or any excessive smoke, being a pre DPF engine a little bit of black smoke under heavy load which clears up immediately, so a poor exterior, but good running gear. I'm happy with it

Last edited:
Reactions: HB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom