A Senior Moment.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've suddenly realised. IT WAS THE HERON.

I've suddenly realised. IT WAS THE HERON.

You may be right, Charles! That bird was in our kitchen a couple of days ago stood on the gannet worktop.

I managed to kill it and took it to our local Indian restaurant for them to cook for us.
The following night we dined at The Balti on Heron Curry, which was delicious, although the bill was bigger than we expected.

Last edited:
Not me [yet] but a pal of mine who is the CFI in a well-known east Midlands gliding club. On duty one day last year he got a phone call from a pilot who'd had to put down in a field some fifty miles to the west after his water ballast dumper valve stuck, leaving him with nowhere else to go.

'No problemo' quipped Pete, 'We'll be with you in an hour or so and make the pickup in the spare trailer - give me your GR [off the cockpit GPS]'.

Grabbing the spare set of keys from the rack, Pete sauntered down to the Toyota Landcruiser and trailer waiting for such an eventuality, and drove off to make the rendezvous.

Arriving at the landing spot and espying the downed glider, Pete quickly assessed the situation, got the local farmer to hold open the gates - the field was populated by cattle - while he drove the rig into the field and positioned himself close up to the stricken sailplane. Without delay, he and the pilot began the task of removing the flappy bits, while the hired help - Andy - began to get the trailer open and ready.

'OK, with the winch, Andy?' - called Pete over his shoulder, the other one bearing half the full weight of a 35 foot long wing....

'Uh, not really', said Andy, 'I can't reach it at the moment'.

'Wojja mean, you can't $"&&^%£$%^ reach it?' was the exasperated reply from the by-now sweating Pete.

'Well, y'see, there's this bloody glider in the way................'

tac

Last edited:
although the bill was bigger than we expected.

I'm sure you were relaxed about it though, otherwise they might have told you to keep your heron.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom