A Senior Moment.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Rented a holiday cottage in North Yorkshire for a week. Pick up keys as instructed from pub at top of street. Told that the lock was stiff and needed some pressure on the door.

Went to house could not open door. So as instructed started pushing on the door with some vigor and choice language. After a few minutes of this a Police car turned up. Good I thought he wants to help us. Wrong. They had been called by the owner telling them that there was somebody at her door trying to break it down.

Right house number. Wrong road. Profuse apologies to the dear sweet lady whose house it was.

A few years ago I parked the car on a meter in Portland Place, outside the BBC building.

Went into my meeting, then realised the two hours were almost up, so left the meeting and went back to the car to move it.

Lo and behold, it wasn't there... on closer examination I noticed that the meters were for taxis only!

So I put one plus one together and headed to the nearest car pound, which is in Park Lane. There was a long queue of taxis in the taxi rank nearby, so I jumped into the first one and asked to be taken to the car pound.

The cabbie put down his paper, switched on the meter, and off we went.

And then it dawned on me - the street looked wrong - we weren't actually outside the BBC building - but one stretch further down.

So I did park the car properly and legally... and the meter was about to expire in two minutes.

I asked the cabbie to stop and jumped out, he seemed unhappy about it all so I gave him a fiver (the initial fair was £2.20) and expected a 'thanks gov' - yet he went on rumbling about having waited in the taxi rank for 45 minutes and now he has to go back to the end of the queue... I already regretted giving him the fiver but the time was ticking on the parking so I just ran off, with the cabbie shouting after me 'don't ever do that again to anyone'.

All's well that ends well - the car was exactly where I left it, with a traffic warding next to it looking expectantly at the meter. Got there on time, and moved the car.

When I was young, I blew the engine in my VW beetle, so decided to rebuild it properly, which I did (or thought so).

It wouldn't start, I checked ignition, fuel, and compression. All fine, so more buggering around rechecking. Then I spotted the camshaft, which was sitting on the workbench....

I awarded myself an A+ for advanced profanity:)

Charles Morgan has a good one about keys......

Why is it almost always keys?

Some years ago I got back to the apartment block later one night a little the worse for wear. Stabbed the lift button, up, doors open, autopilot to the front door and try to insert my key which doesn't work. Complete stranger opens the door. Had got out on the wrong floor (all floors identical) and tried to enter someone else's apartment.

So going for a winter break last November flying from Manchester and booked a car park just off the airport. Flight was early and we were running late due to road work delay but Sat Nav found the park great and courtesy bus ready to collect. Whizzed into a space grabbed the cases and jumped on the bus on the still pitch black morning.
One week later find the shuttle bus and get off in the car park at 1pm none of it looks familiar in the daylight so get off the bus before it leaves the park barrier.
Walk around for half an hour and can't find silver Merc. Strange how many silver cars there are in a car park of 4000 cars. Tried vainly wagging the remote in the air to see if any flashing lights, like a lost trader trying to get a phone signal! So leave the cases with gate man who says that they have 3 parks are you sure its this one, "oh yes definitely on this side of the road we both say". Another hour tramping round and still no car, maybe it has been stolen? So the courtesy bus comes round and the guy said that he had seen us wandering about like a few others in the past are you sure it is the right park? Anyway he said jump on picks up the cases from the gate and if the worst comes to worst he will drop us back again after going to airport. Sure enough the next park he goes in it all looks familiar and there is the car. The driver said we collect 3,2 then 1 and drop at 3,2 then 1. So being in row C park 1 we were the last call to go and should have been the last off, we got off too early. At this point my wife remembers that it was row C as our daughter is called Charlotte! Our park 3 had P to Z. Strange how you could not remember 3 hours ago!!!!!!
Journey home was a bit frayed but we are speaking again now.

Spending a day taking photographs only to discover no film in the camera...

I was 18 at the time but took loads of photos of my first car having washed it etc.

Only when I went to take the film out and spotted there wasn't one in it.

:doh:

Had a corporate entertaining event up at Palmers in Bedford. Went through the briefing, including the 'look after your own car keys, as occasionally we have some prat come to us at the end of the day saying they've lost theirs, and there are 400acres here...bit hard to find a set of keys..

I chuckled along with everyone else and went through the day. And, inevitably, when it came to home time, I couldn't find my car key. Hugely embarrassing, I pretended to take a phone call while the rest of my party departed, then shamefacedly went back to the desk to report my stupidity. I had my wife about to do the 140 mile round trip to bring me the spare (I would still have been paying for that!) when a mechanic radioed in to say they'd found them....they had shaken out of my pocket during a vigorous lap or two in a jaguarsport racer. Very very lucky!

I always bought a spare keys for my cars back in the good old days when garages had racks of Wilmot Breedon keys :D being newto me I hadn't got one yet. After cleaning the new motor I couldn't find the keys emptied all trouser pockets, nothing drove round everywhere trying to get a replacement having driven round to the previous owner to get the key number (seperate key for ignition and doors). After a couple of hours no joy I didn't fancy leaving the car unlocked so pressed the door buttons, and went indoors. Tossed my jumper down on the bed, key fall out of pocket, a pocket I never ever used!!

Help the aged.

Many years ago, a good friend of mine asked if I'd do a job for an old lady friend of his in Liverool (40 miles form where I live).
He pleaded poverty on her part, so after allowing for fuel and our product, I costed the job at dead on cost price.
I was extremely busy and could ill afford the hassle of travelling an 80 mile round trip for nothing other than helping a friend of a friend.
I didn't charge for my time, after all, it was for a poor old lady.

I carried out the installation and set off for home.
Stuck in a traffic jam a few miles from home, I decided to call my wife to say I'd be back shortly. Only then did I realise I'd left my mobile phone in West Derby. :doh:

I drove back to Liverpool and went back into the house to get my phone.

The old lady had a couple of her neighbours in the house, sipping tea, who vigorously challenged me about the price I'd charged, saying they knew someone who could have done the job for a lot less. :wallbash:

Aged 18, and arrived at a campsite near Rosas in Spain after a long drive down with a pal with windsurf board on the roof, and cannot wait to get out on the water.

Back on the beach after a few runs and need to pop back to the car to get something. After half an hour of scouring through everything it finally dawns on me that the car key was in the pocket of my shorts.

And being the brave soul I was, another half an hour before we gave up searching and I admitted I'd lost the key in the sea...

Cue frustrating 9 day wait for a new key at a campsite we planned to stay one night at. Have never been allowed to forget it

Charles Morgan has a good one about keys......

Almost did the same yesterday, setting off in my SM having dropped off my W124 for some bodywork. Remembered only a few yards on, rather than at Clapham Junction..

I also managed to forget my wallet for a second time, realising after I filled up in High Wycombe it was in the back pocket of my jeans, which were going through a mixed coloured cycle at the time. Fortunately money laundering did little harm to the notes or my card.

Last edited:
Many years ago, a good friend of mine asked if I'd do a job for an old lady friend of his in Liverool (40 miles form where I live).
He pleaded poverty on her part, so after allowing for fuel and our product, I costed the job at dead on cost price.
I was extremely busy and could ill afford the hassle of travelling an 80 mile round trip for nothing other than helping a friend of a friend.
I didn't charge for my time, after all, it was for a poor old lady.

I carried out the installation and set off for home.
Stuck in a traffic jam a few miles from home, I decided to call my wife to say I'd be back shortly. Only then did I realise I'd left my mobile phone in West Derby. :doh:

I drove back to Liverpool and went back into the house to get my phone.

The old lady had a couple of her neighbours in the house, sipping tea, who vigorously challenged me about the price I'd charged, saying they knew someone who could have done the job for a lot less. :wallbash:

Another proof of the saying that no good deed goes unpunished..

Driving to work one early morning thinking to myself how empty the roads were.

Than I realised it was Saturday.

Turned round. Went back home and got back into bed.

I only ever did that once.

Working in Greece in the early 80's I had to be in the office for 7.30 to take morning reports from offshore. 2 years in a row I got it wrong when the clocks went forward and back - either turned up an hour late to find someone else had taken them, or an hour early so offshore weren't ready. 3rd year I managed to finally get it right! It wasn't even a senior moment - I was 29 / 30 years old at the time!!

Another proof of the saying that no good deed goes unpunished..

I had an issue recently where I was sure I'd bought three pies to share with a friend for lunch, only to discover just two pies were there when we sat down to eat.
The only consolation is that he too thought we had three. Maybe neither of us was to blame after all. :)

Meanwhile the two Lurchers were wondering if the other had nabbed it without being noticed..

Left work and eight miles later and nearly at our flat, then remembered we'd bought a house in the other direction, wife said I was late she was expecting me home before that only being a mile from the office!

Meanwhile the two Lurchers were wondering if the other had nabbed it without being noticed..

He he. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if one of them had taken it if left unattended for 30 seconds. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom