A Service Gone Wrong, Sprinter Dealer.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dragnet

Car
sprinter
Hi, new to the forum even though ive been hitting it a number of years for help regarding my old Y reg sprinter. i have had a problem with the first service on my newley purchased sprinter 313 CDI. Purchased the van around 16 months ago from my local Merc dealer, last thursday it had an A service with the same dealers i purchased the van off. Whilst driving home after service on the motorway the dash showed that 1 liter of oil need, didnt think much as perhaps they had forgotten to fill to required level. Anyway when i got back to my carpark i noticed that there was oil everywhere!!Merc sent someone out who found that they has not tightened down the oil filter cap!! The dipstick came out dry, no oils showing! Of course the Merc dealer has apologised, reprimanded the mechanic and offered me a free service!! Well im not happy as i spent my savings on this van including most from a bank loan and now im never going to be happy that the money ive spent is going to give me reliability, was thinking this might be the last van i purchase for work as im a sole trader.Merc state that only 6 litres of oil were lost and no major damage has been done to my engine, im not sure and will i ever be sure. Can any member give me there thoughts on what i can do next? Perhaps no damage has been done!Thanks for reading this long post but would appreciate any help. Pete.

[QUOTE="dragnet, post: 2746255, member: 145227" reprimanded the mechanic and offered me a free service!! .[/QUOTE]

I believe calling many of them mechanics now is an insult to the trade.

Most of them are what are best described as 'fitters', as in plugging vehicles in and fitting indicated parts.

How far did you drive the van like this?

It may not have lost oil pressure, even though the oil is not visible on the dipstick. If they determined that 6 litres were lost by draining the sump, then that leaves a litre? two litres? that would probably not be enough to keep the oil pump filled in normal driving with some cornering, but it may have been lucky that you were cruising at a steady speed on the flat, but it would be a close-run thing....

I'd push them to acknowledge the incident in writing so as to support any downstream in or/out of warranty claims e.g. premature big end bearing problems. I'd also ask that the oil filter and drained oil is examined for signs of metallic debris.

It may not have lost oil pressure, even though the oil is not visible on the dipstick. If they determined that 6 litres were lost by draining the sump, then that leaves a litre? two litres? that would probably not be enough to keep the oil pump filled in normal driving with some cornering, but it may have been lucky that you were cruising at a steady speed on the flat, but it would be a close-run thing....

I'd push them to acknowledge the incident in writing so as to support any downstream in or/out of warranty claims e.g. premature big end bearing problems. I'd also ask that the oil filter and drained oil is examined for signs of metallic debris.

Further to the above, a full analysis of the oil will not only show wear particles but also thermal stress (potential carbonisation) the oil endured being recirculated without a chance to cool.

Given the potential for damage, you have every right to demand the dealer adequately deals with the situation they caused.

Ask them for extended warranty for the engine?

Thank you all for the replies, it helps as im no Mechanic. Sprinter dealership has just sent me a written apology but have stated that there was 5 liters left , the mechanic sent out put 6 back in and engine takes 11 liters, Also states mechanice checked seals and reported OK. Since no loss of power, no noises and no futher leaks they deam that engine has not suffered ''major or permanent'' damage but as a token and for my peace of mind they will take vehicle in for an automatic compression test, check turbo charger and oil pressure test and as a futher gesture will carry out an oil change servic and VHC free of charge when next due. What upsets me is the fact that i spent every penny i had and more through a bank loan to purchase a Mercedes were i belived that reliabilty would be there for a number of years and i could carry on with my work without the worries of something going wrong, which i did have with my Y reg 4 pot merc that lasted me 10 years previously! Damb shame to say the least!! Pete.

Were could i get the oil analysis from folks? And could i rely on the Merc dealership to do it for me??

Compression test is meaningless as the rings are the last to be affected by oil starvation. The top end (ie camshafts, etc) is first to suffer.
The problem is that the oil pressure light only illuminates at very low pressure. With what has occurred, it is entirely possible that very hot aerated oil was circulating at pressure high enough to keep the light off, but low enough to permit damage.
One consolation might be - but needs researched as I don't know exactly - is, if the hydraulic tappets need constant (high) pressure to prevent them from collapsing (which could cause a power drop if they did) and no power loss was observed, then maybe there was sufficient pressure throughout. Clutching at straws though, not least as any power loss may not have been detectable.

I use Lubecheck Laborotories, Llandudno, North Wales, LL30 1SA for my analyses but can't find them on the 'net (they are still in business, I just sent a sample away last week). Did find this though >> Contact Details - Conwy

You are testing for wear metals and oil condition.

Mercedes dealers are one of the worst and their cars are nothing but money pits.... It is just that german reliability myth that people in this country are so obsessed with.
I still see 08-09 reg sprinters with rust everywhere! Utterly unacceptable for what is allegedly a premium brand

I d get the dealer to give me a free extended warranty just in case you ll need it

Mercedes dealers are one of the worst and their cars are nothing but money pits.... It is just that german reliability myth that people in this country are so obsessed with.
I still see 08-09 reg sprinters with rust everywhere! Utterly unacceptable for what is allegedly a premium brand..

Well that'll get the OP cheered-up alright :D

Just to clarify - you bought a 2001 registered Sprinter from a Mercedes main dealer 16 month ago?

That must be a record.

This is really rubbish and as you have said the last thing you need. Being pragmatic about it, although hard, is probably the way. If it’s not showing obvious signs of distress oil analysis and other third party inspections are likely to raise as many questions as answers. Might be best to go for maximum sympathy from dealer. They dropped the ball so go for as long duration aftercare rather than a quick fix that may leave a doubt in your mind rather than theirs.

So the only message/warning you got on the cluster was to add 1 litre of oil? I'm sure you'd get further messages if the oil level/pressure became critical - if you didn't then it's unlikely any damage was caused, IMHO.

Just back from work:rolleyes: Thank you all for the replies;) Not sure were i go from here to tell the truth, Mercedes is not willing to play friendly and it would appear that i will have to go fo there magnanimous offer of an engine test they have offerd me. I will make an appointment to see the service manager face to face and mention that i will be sending off the oil for testing at least, im also going to ask for an extended warrenty but i doubt that will happen, will be interesting to hear there reply! This whole episode just goes to show that once they have your dosh, ''yes sir no sir of course you can purchase a nice reliable van, then they dont care about the customer IMHO.:wallbash:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom