A Sister for Evil "1"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ian B Walker

MB Enthusiast
Car
300-24, saloon and coupe, E300 24 valve diesel estate
So Trapperjohn sent me a link to a very interesting car and asked if I was interested. Hmmm would I really like a 1991 300CE-24:dk:. Your damned right I would :bannana:. A sister to Evil "1".

Ok, so I asked him where it was, "Falmouth" he said, with a wicked grin on his face. I picked myself up and looked at him as if he was stupid. Falmouth? that's closer to New York than Preston :doh:. Then he tells me that its price was £200, with a current mot. My brain is now in meltdown. Quick look at map. Bloody Hell!! its 400 miles. "Thought we were getting cars locally"? says me.

It took me all of 30 seconds soul searching before I said yes. Anyway 05:30 Sunday morning sees me and Trappers trusty 300D, complete with trailer on my way to pick him up (not driving there and back alone, not safe). Filled up various cans and cars fuel tank. £147 later of we went. Now you have to realise that Johns 300D takes time accelerating, but once there it cruses a little above National Speed Limit ;). We arrived in Falmouth at 12:35. Having stopped once or twice for refreshments and driver changes. Oh and to top the tank up :(.

The car was brought to us and looked ok. Bit of rust (very little) and a weeping head gasket (no great drama). The person selling it was or still is the Consultant Pathologist at a well Known local hospital. Quick look into the car searching for blood and other bits. Nope all cleaned out, as is the rest of the car.

Now a bit about it. Blue with a little rust in the usual areas. Post cat 103 6 cyl engine :D. 120,000 miles and only 1200 done in the last 12 months. Garaged over winter, every winter. Heated seats (working), Cruise control (working) Seat belt presenters (working) Both window mechs and motors (working :eek:)

Had it on the ramps today and underneath is a joy. Brake pads all round for mot tomorrow and brake fluid change. Smoked lights fitted and 17" wheels that I just happened to have knocking around fitted.

When Trapperjohn sends me some pics he took (hint hint) I will update this thread with the said pictures.

Last edited:
we dont want to see pictures of you guys enroute - show us the car!

The link Ian is talking about came off this very forum, but I cannot find it now. Its how this little community works, bloody brilliant little place to be. So whom ever you were who put that link up thank you very much.

we dont want to see pictures of you guys enroute - show us the car!
Your wish is our command. No Doubt John will add to the tale of the journey back.

Checking boot for blood and body bits (private ambulance in attendance :rolleyes:
evil 4.jpg

The harbour just in the background
evil 5.jpg

Other random pics on way home.
evil 1.jpg

evil 2.jpg

evil 3.jpg

More updated picks tomorrow :thumb:

Last edited:
The journey back.
Only chuffin Cornwall could have a car boot sale starting at 1.30PM on a Sunday afternoon. Truro I think it was. What a PITA.
Now my old girl needs a bit of a run at hill at the best of times. On the way down you obviously do a bit of a recce for the way back and coming out of Truro there is a big old hill requiring a sharp left turn up a steeper hill and then onwards and upwards towards Bodmin. So the plan of attack to take this hill on the way back was to get a head of steam up then "left flanking" at the traffic lights and storm the hill with the foot flat to the floor. Little did we know that the local resistance movement had planned an ambush for us. Bang opposite Dunhelm Mill was a car boot sale. So Sunday Drivers - thumbs up bums looking for parking spaces on a steep narrow road and us with about four and a half ton up. Wanting to "move on" with all the mighty power of the Mercedes 12V 6 pot diesel at our disposal. That pleasant Sunday afternoon for some, buying other people's carp, cost us a good half hour plus. Anyway the steed made it in the end. Going down the hills Mr Walker made up time much to my consternation and improved this weeks washing load no end.
A straight run back after than. Oh we stopped at "Woody's Diner" just before Exeter at around 3.30PM for an all day breakfast. Now do not go thinking American Diner here, its a Poratcabin, but good nosh all the same.
The 300ce 24v is a beauty and once Ian and his team have fettled a few bits it will be a belter. Its last owner truely looked after this car and its down to him it is in the grand condition that it is.
Once Ian and his team have done all the spanner wrangling Ill be there with my bucket and sponge and this is going to be one smart Mercedes. So thanks to the forum and Ian another 124 lives on.
No doubt you will be seeing Ian at various GTGs in his latest flying machine. Ill be about two hours behind him!
Jonnyboy - thats your old Estate buddy, still going strong and earning its keep.
Oh, and no jokes about stiffs please given the previous keeper of the car. I think we did all them on the way back.
Total round journey time around 16 hours. Worth every second looking at the car.

I was watching that one with interest too. Good luck with it.

Nice car and a good tale to tell in getting it.

Will the work be posted in the restoration projects section.?

us with about four and a half ton up. Wanting to "move on" with all the mighty power of the Mercedes 12V 6 pot diesel at our disposal.

I suppose if all else had failed you could have put the wagon on the trailer and used the mighty 24v to get up the hill....

£200?

What a splendid find.

Makes me wonder about finding a classic something or other for weekend pootling.

Interesting thread - thanks

£200 is a steal. There are an awful lot of sheds out there, but a well maintained W124 has to be one of the great bargains of the car world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom