A Snow Proof Merc

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Having driven one of those you need loads of snow. Horrid in dry weather as they shake out your fillings. But loads of fun when the going gets tough.

Within the UK Armed Forces, they are used exclusively now by the Royal Marines and that is why there are a load up for disposal as the British Army lets go of its 206s'. There is a newer version with a much better transmission and better more durable track - they run at £400K a copy - and they are armoured too! These go by the name of 'Viking' or in mil parlance ATVP (All Terrain Vehicle Protected).

The BV206 in your link is a great oversnow vehicle but the track is ruinously expensive and you can get through it (track) very quickly when used in arid conditions. The ATVP is truly all terrain and the track much more long lived.

Recommend you wait a year ot two for the next Defence Review you may be able to pick up Viking for about the same money. It is a really superb vehicle.

NormanB

Last edited:
this was also used as the base vehicles (two off) for the mole transporter in the up-coming film thunderbirds.

then driven in london :eek:

basically two of those bolted side by side with 10' long scaffold poles. (and all rubbish taken off etc etc etc)

… yep, work for them

NormanB said:
Within the UK Armed Forces, they are used exclusively now by the Royal Marines

The new Viking is rather swish, the .50 Machine gun is just the job for road rage incidents. Mind you most of the Marines BV's seem to spend their time swanning around the Middle East. They're just as good on sand as snow.

Andy

vito113 said:
The new Viking is rather swish, the .50 Machine gun is just the job for road rage incidents. Mind you most of the Marines BV's seem to spend their time swanning around the Middle East. They're just as good on sand as snow.

Andy

Andy

I used to until recently!!

I was not implying the 206 was no good in sand - just that it wears the track out quicker (than on snow).
NormanB

…so why the scooter?

NormanB said:
Andy

I used to until recently!!

I was not implying the 206 was no good in sand - just that it wears the track out quicker (than on snow).
NormanB

What I should have said there Norman was that it was a 'good job' that the BV's are as good on sand as snow as they spend so little time up north now :)

BTW What's an ex-Royal want with a scooter? Your letting the Corp down, a Harley Davidson surely!

All the best

Andy

vito113 said:
BTW What's an ex-Royal want with a scooter? Your letting the Corp down, a Harley Davidson surely!
And dont forget R.E.M.E. when you bend them. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom