A speeding ticket - should I argue

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HughJarse

MB Enthusiast
Car
c250
As title says I think I may have a speeding ticket on the way. Now Im the type of person who thinks "take it on the chin - if youre speeding youre speeding!)
However I think I may like to make my frustration known about this one and would like opinions on how to do it.

Over the weekend I was in the lakes. For those that don't know the A66 it is notorious for accidents. It is National speed limit and goes from single to duel lanes quite regulary - thus 60mph to 70mph respectively.
So Im going up a hill on a double lane, there was a car in front, a car behind and about 5 cars on our left. As we went over the brow of the hill there on top was a camera van. I checked my speed and was doing about 69-70. Fine thinks me and kept on going. BUT it was a few miles down the road when I hit another one of these - it was then that I thought, hang on this is not a duel carriageway as it is only two lanes on my side, therefore the speed is 60 not 70.

Now Im angry as I checked my speed and honestly thought I was ok - its only on reflection that I think Im not. I know Ill have to take the points but really want to let that constabulary know of my frustration as Im sure I cant have been the only person who honestly thought this. I can honestly say I thought I was within in the limit.

What would anyone else do - take it on the chin and make their point known or just get frustrated and take it on the chin?
I appreciate being an officer of the law is a tough job, but if I do get a ticket, they haven't gained a friend here!

I have two convictions from when I thought I was in the limit, one was in a van on dual carriageway (limit reduced to 60mph not 70mph - I was prosecuted for driving at 72mph) and the second I thought I was in a 40mph but it was actually a 30mph - I was prosecuted for driving at 38mph.

If you get a ticket just take it, do not contest it, especially if you have a clean licence, the fine will be increased exponentially and you risk an increased number of points for wasting court time etc.

I've contested two, over the years, in both cases the fines were substantially increased and the pts increased to 4 from 3.

The only time I successfully appealed was when caught by two cameras going very fast (over 100mph) - I was on my way to the hospital where my father had been taken with a heart attack, He was dying.

I appealed, explained the circumstances, the police contacted the hospital for confirmation which was provided. The police then kindly decided to deal with it as 6 pts and a £485 fine instead of banning me.....how considerate.

You may not get one but if you do,just pay up. the van was there for a reason .to catch people out as they will not know the road like in your case.
Next time arm yourself with one of those devices that tell you the speed limit on the road so you are assured.
Evem though mine once told me on the M1 that the limit was 40mph.
i later found out that the interference came from a side oad with a camera.
ironic as if you continued to the end you will have landed in croft racing circuit

Last edited:
You'll be unlucky to be caught at that speed, your true speed will have been about 66-67mph, right on the edge of ACPO guidelines.

For future reference, 4 lanes does not a dual carriageway make. A dual carriageway is basically 2 or more lanes, separated by a central reservation.

If a ticket does arrive, don't pay, just claim it was an administrative oversight....

Or claim that you sent the payment details on two CDs.;)

There is an interesting article in today's Times about how speed cameras. The jounalist argues that they have made roads more dangerous. It's a good read by one of their regular correspondents who now he fears he will lose his licence over 4 small indiscretions. ..... Cue pro-camera lobby!

Next time arm yourself with one of those devices that tell you the speed limit on the road so you are assured.

BTW the latest software upgrade for the TomTom includes that - you can set it to warn if you go over the speed limit. You can also set an overall speed to be warned at as well:

1587_safety_preferences_uk.gif

I'm just annoyed as I wasn't ( in my opinion ) whizzing along, and honestly thought I was in the limit. I also take the point of it needing a central reservation -maybe I should be done for undue care and attention as I was more concentrating on driving than looking at the other side of the road.

I suppose we will have to wait and see what comes through the door!

just take heart .we all know why the vans are there.
I mean we have to keep the roads very safe from people doing 60.1 mph in a 60 zone

Catching people speeding on roads like this has very little to do with road safety and a lot more to do with meeting targets.

Sorry you were caught HughJarse.

It is a possibility they were not speed camera vans, but just number plate recognition to remove some of the dodgy cars on our roads. Best of luck anyway

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom