A study in human nature

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Is that low water?

They closed the road at my mother's house in Wraysbury. 2 foot of water. Plenty of people driving through it, even though it's barriered off.

How can it be 2 feet deep and people still drive through it?

I actually feel for this driver. The sign only warns Ford vehicles. :(

dob6l3.jpg

Every year without fail at least one idiot manages to drown their car & sometimes nearly die at that ford despite the signs you see & signs further up the road saying 'ROAD CLOSED'. A couple of years ago they installed the signs in the picture (which have flashing lights) with huge local publicity but still idiots continue being idiots. There were calls for physical drop down barriers which I'm sure will now be demanded again.

In the summer it's about 6-8 inches deep.

It's just impossible to legislate or protect all the people from their own stupidity all the time.

Every year without fail at least one idiot manages to drown their car & sometimes nearly die at that ford despite the signs you see & signs further up the road saying 'ROAD CLOSED'. A couple of years ago they installed the signs in the picture (which have flashing lights) with huge local publicity but still idiots continue being idiots. There were calls for physical drop down barriers which I'm sure will now be demanded again.

In the summer it's about 6-8 inches deep.

It's just impossible to legislate or protect all the people from their own stupidity all the time.

Agreed - where mine got caught and, after the river rising further, the police closed the road, the signs and bollards were moved within an hour by people who wanted to get through (and got caught out).

Unimog with snorkel should have made mincemeat of that, I suspect during servicing the inlet tract was not exactly put back together to factory spec.......or it was a cheaper after market attachment.

Idiots of course will never learn, the only reason I suspect for the heavy signage is to lessen their chances of winning should they sue.

Of course the cynic in me wonders if prominent signage is a deliberate come on to the 4x4 crowd who combine idiocy with hubris - come on big man, you can show up the losers...with the inevitable nemesis.

Last edited:
Unimog with snorkel should have made mincemeat of that, I suspect during servicing the inlet tract was not exactly put back together to factory spec.......or it was a cheaper after market attachment.

When that tree guy tried to go through the ford the depth was at least 7½ feet deep. Even if he had got through he would have drowned all his professional & expensive tree cutting equipment in the back, as well as his trailer.

It's about a 2 mile / 5 minute detour to avoid the ford.

How can it be 2 feet deep and people still drive through it?

I don't know. I see people go past the "Road Closed" sign and over the bridge. They don't come back. So they either get through or are stuck in it.

The water is still rising. It hasn't rained much for a while, but it is the water coming down The Thames. My road is on News 24 quite often and Sky are here, today. I went through a few days ago. It was about a foot deep. I regretted it and quickly thought "I am one of those idiots you see on the news". The front parking sensors were going mad...! I will not attempt it again.

Causeways that are designed to be flooded and have height markers should be left open for the public to decide for themselves whether to cross or not. As a Landrover Defender driver in Bedfordshire there were three such causeways in the local area that flooded regularly in winter to varying degrees and all used to be "closed" with plastic barriers the moment a puddle developed. The route to avoid them would add 7 miles to my journey and the Defender was capable of dealing with any depth of water that I experienced in 10 years of living there (Standard LR Defender no snorkel etc.). The morons that still try their luck in cars despite a 2ft marker depth of water should be dealt with appropriately if they end up requiring publicly funded resources!!
On one occasion I drove round the barriers to cross the water (As I always have done) only to observe a police Astra cross the flood to come and give me a b0ll0ck!ng for ignoring the warning signs only to then let me cross when I commented that I had just seen him drive the flood in his Astra!!!!! When asked why it was still closed when passable by car he responded that it was because opposing traffic splashed water over each other and caused breakdowns in the water.... it was 9pm and very quiet!!! Surely if drivers aren't smart enough to allow vehicles to come through before they set off then a steep learning curve would be no bad thing!!

^^^erm, this last argument doesn't paint a pretty pic for the poster to me. Can't complain about getting in trouble if you openly admit to breaking the rules!

Another example of Range Rover driver brain deficiency. I was behind a brand new FFRR going through Farnham Common. The car in front of him signalled to turn right, came to a halt in 50 yards, and was delayed turning because of traffic. The RR stopped immediately behind, in the same position as the turning car (ie on the right hand side of the lane).

After about a minute of waiting the FFRR clocked that there was a pull in for a bus stop on the left of the turning car, with plenty of room to get past, but having come to a halt immediately behind, had to do that silly shuffle of reverse and turn in order to get round.

So, given the perfect visibility from a high driving position (even down low I could see the width of the road) with plenty of time and road space to go round the vehicle turning, what could possibly account for the FFRR doing none of the above and getting stuck other than being very thick?

Ha ha ha ha.

The Iver lake has returned. I was just checking the receding water level when three cars stormed up the road to the flood, to find their way blocked by an Audi car coming the other way to avoid the deep water. All screeched to a halt, missing each other by inches.

Usual standoff until the Audi reversed, and they then stormed forward. Of course, the first car discovered it was a bit tighter than he thought so braked, as did the second, but not the third, a black BMW E39 who had been giving it revs, so went straight in the back of the second car.

Perfect visibility, setting off from standstill and a rear end shunt at 10mph. You couldn't make it up, the most perfect display of f**kwittery I've seen in ages.

Of course, I offered my services as a witness to the tailended car!

There might even be a midget submarine there. Various car plastic underbody mouldings have started being washed up, possibly from the pressure of water at speed, or possibly a U Boat left over from the filming of In which we serve at nearby Pinewood might have done a runner.

Excellent - your link no longer works, I'd love to find out where the ford is.

I can show you one lunch break if you like..your car, not mine :)

I can show you one lunch break if you like..your car, not mine :)

You would get wet in Charles' Range Rover, even if it didn't stop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom