A stunning E500 W124.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The wheels were made to fit the W124 E500, but they were an after market item, not an original option or anything like that. Amazingly they've not got a scratch or even a chip on them. They might look better diamond cut finished like the original Evo II wheels...Might change back to Evo II wheels anyway, the option (with yet another set of wheels) is there. Won't be selling these Techno Magnesio wheels though! :p
Don't sell or swap them as they look awesome!

Incidentally if anyone is doing searches etc. for them the "Evo II" wheels are properly called "Ceginus"!

Couple of rare pictures of the Porsche 500E facility at Zuffenhausen of the assembly line that had previously been used for 959 production
500E-b.jpg

500E-engine.jpg

see
500E-a

Last edited:
Incidentally if anyone is doing searches etc. for them the "Evo II" wheels are properly called "Ceginus"!
Correct me if I'm wrong but the Ceginus alloys are 7.5J and EVO2 and E500 Limited at 8.25J - which are yours?

Correct me if I'm wrong but the Ceginus alloys are 7.5J and EVO2 and E500 Limited at 8.25J - which are yours?

Bill:That's like giving MonoII another name because they come in different sizes and widths :D

Yup Ceginus is the M-B name for that wheel design. The ones on my R129 were 8.25 x 17 ET34.

Lovely car.

The 500E brakes definately need upgrading from Stock. I kept mine as they were for 7 years... Then recently upgraded them.. The car feels so much better to drive now.

Ceginus refers to the style, across all sizes - there were also 18" versions that fitted the ML.

w163504270mh.jpg

My understanding from the American forums was that all R129 alloys fit the 500e?

Very tidy car there, certainly a well looked after example.

Dave!

My understanding from the American forums was that all R129 alloys fit the 500e?

Very tidy car there, certainly a well looked after example.

Dave!

The 129 and 500e alloys are the same apart from the part numbers

Couple of rare pictures of the Porsche 500E facility at Zuffenhausen of the assembly line that had previously been used for 959 production
500E-b.jpg

500E-engine.jpg

see
500E-a

Thanks Grober - great pics of historical value. :thumb:

Lovely car.

The 500E brakes definately need upgrading from Stock. I kept mine as they were for 7 years... Then recently upgraded them.. The car feels so much better to drive now.

I had E500 brakes on my W124 300D turbo, then happened across a set of 500E brakes and switched, including the master cylinder. What was most notably different were the much larger (& vented) rear discs, plus the fact that the 500E master cylinder simply couldn't pump enough fluid to work with the rear calipers. An E500 master cylinder fixed that. The 300D's braking became noticably better and dive under hard braking was reduced.
This is in line with what's happened with modern brakes on performance cars. Discs tend to have very close diameters both front or rear. Look at a Nissan GT-R's brakes next time you come across some. 380mm both front & rear, but there are many other examples. This is just the first that pops into my head.

It's not only a minor difference in styling. Better brakes is one of the reasons I targeted an E500 and not a 500E. MB must've realised the 500E's brakes needed improvement, so they upgraded to the same spec as they were fitting in the R129 V12's, which carried a heavy engine.

Of course this E500's are better now that when it left the factory; they feel more powerful & capable. Original E500 disc sizes are retained, it's only the front calipers that were switched from a 993's, which look to have a larger pad area than the calipers on the 300D. ;)

That's interesting - do you think the 993 calipers will fit over the smaller, 500E discs (300mm)? It'd be a good mod however I think metal brake hoses and super ATE fluid would sort my brakes out to make them good enough for road use.

I like the look of the Porsche calipers. P.s. I wouldn't paint them, the red calipers look good against the black paintwork, really makes them pop and Porsche calipers are almost always red (unless you run carbon ceramics :devil:)

I have good condition rear calipers, newly refurbished front calipers with new seals and pistons, good quality fluid and relatively new discs with EBC Redstuff pads and the 500E stops really well and secure. You have to be doing silly things to get them to overheat.

My W164 ML500 though is all over it in the braking department, much more powerful and the ABS is far superior. It's amazing how much progress has been made with brakes. They both have the same tyres on too, just the MLs are SUV versions.

I had a proper 4 wheel alignment with the weights in each seat and suspension droop measurements taken and it transformed the car, it just refuses to understeer at all and was money well spent. It's suspension travel really helps when the speeds rise and it keeps the car tied into the road really well.

A set of modern brakes, a 5 speed auto like the SL500 and it would be utterly perfect imo.

Dave!

I have good condition rear calipers, newly refurbished front calipers with new seals and pistons, good quality fluid and relatively new discs with EBC Redstuff pads and the 500E stops really well and secure. You have to be doing silly things to get them to overheat.

My W164 ML500 though is all over it in the braking department, much more powerful and the ABS is far superior. It's amazing how much progress has been made with brakes. They both have the same tyres on too, just the MLs are SUV versions.

I had a proper 4 wheel alignment with the weights in each seat and suspension droop measurements taken and it transformed the car, it just refuses to understeer at all and was money well spent. It's suspension travel really helps when the speeds rise and it keeps the car tied into the road really well.

A set of modern brakes, a 5 speed auto like the SL500 and it would be utterly perfect imo.

Dave!
Dave

Good of you to chime in! Do you still own the 500E? Where in the country are you? Would be good to meet up and compare ownership!

Cheers

Bill

That's interesting - do you think the 993 calipers will fit over the smaller, 500E discs (300mm)? It'd be a good mod however I think metal brake hoses and super ATE fluid would sort my brakes out to make them good enough for road use.

I like the look of the Porsche calipers. P.s. I wouldn't paint them, the red calipers look good against the black paintwork, really makes them pop and Porsche calipers are almost always red (unless you run carbon ceramics :devil:)

Pads are the same shape & size on E500 / 500E, iirc, only the discs are larger, so there's no reason 993 calipers won't fit a 500E that I can see.
It may be better to go the whole hog & get some used V12 R129 rear calipers, a complete set of new discs and a used V12 R129 / E500 master cylinder and have better brake bias for less dive on harder braking.

This is a good reference to see the differences in disc diameters and thicknesses, etc. It's what I referred to in order to work out I could use R129 V12 parts, which are usually very inexpensive, used.

http://www.w124performance.com/docs/mb/W124/124_brakes.pdf

Last edited:
Dave

Good of you to chime in! Do you still own the 500E? Where in the country are you? Would be good to meet up and compare ownership!

Cheers

Bill

I still own it yes, it's having a bit of TLC at the minute and the underside at the front should all be refreshed by the end of the summer all going well. It's looking a bit sorry for itself at the minute :(

I'm in Cambridgeshire, just on the border with Lincolnshire.

Dave!

Hey Newera... beautiful car mate and well done for getting that one (I know it wasn't cheap lol). Don't listen to anyone else, just leave the car the way it is as it looks perfect!!!

Regarding the Porsche brakes, it was a popular mod that some of the Jap's did on the 500's, I've seen a few of them around - its different so keep it!

Be good to meet up and see the motor in person :thumb:

Absolutely lovely car - always loved them. The thought of getting rid of my CL65 and getting a mint one of these has crossed my mind many times!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom