A Summer Treat? Which SL is Best?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TheGrocer

Car
E320CDI 04 AvantGarde
I have been thinking about buying 1 of the MB SL models. I dont know too much about them however there are some crackers on the Classic car web sites. £10k budget available and it would be for summer use only
So what should I look out for I hear the SL 500 is fast. Any particular faults to consider, any models to avoid? Any advise would be appreciated.

That indeed looks like a cracker at that price :rock:
Pano roof and four new tyres. Nice.
SL500 is plenty fast enough and makes a wonderful noise.
If you don't know that much about them then why not see if a local indy will check it over for you before you buy?

That indeed looks like a cracker at that price :rock:
Pano roof and four new tyres. Nice.
SL500 is plenty fast enough and makes a wonderful noise.
If you don't know that much about them then why not see if a local indy will check it over for you before you buy?

Thanks Janner, Im just looking at the mo, interested in what to look out for in relation to the best models, ones to avoid & maintainance issues to look out for etc

Stats will be along soon to give his view....but to me it looks like a lot of car for the money.

they are coming down these R129's... i have one too atm which would have been at least 3k more this time last year..

Very cheap to be honest so I'd check it over thoroughly. The front end looks too clean for a ten year old car. The evaporator fan stickers are still in place and these nearly always fall off - the cross-bracing also rusts from stone chips. Possible signs of front-end damage so check the wings and date stamps etc on the parts.

Could be a genuine bargain :).

The front end looks too clean for a ten year old car.
Also ... it has xenon lights - when did these become an option on the R129? They aren't in my 1997 model year price list ... and this is a '97 car :confused:

Thanks for the feedback but Im really interested to know what type of SL I should look out for and which ones to avoid. Any clues?

My vote the 300-24.....sounds the best of the straight 6's, produces @ 230bhp and is the rarest of the 3.0 sixes and is the engine that a lot of SL owners are looking for.

Things to look out for...cylinder head gasket failure

Is the price a mistake? £40K for an 18 year old car. OK the miles are low but it seems well over priced. Thanks for the link though.

No, thats the kind of price really low mileage 107's go for.:crazy:

£35k is the highest I've seen one sell for and that was literally as new and unused.

R107s are elegant and a true classic. The R129 is much more modern - faster, more economical, safer, handles well by comparison and can be used daily rain or shine. You need to decide what you're after really - a classic for sunny days out or an everyday modern classic.

Thanks for the feedback but Im really interested to know what type of SL I should look out for and which ones to avoid. Any clues?
As mentioned, the R129 is more 'useable' and pretty well built (no rust issues to speak of). I would personally go for a 500 for effortless power and no real engine issues (like the head gasket on the 300). Difference in fuel consumption and insurance is likely to be slight, there are less 500s around though. I would steer clear of 600s (if you see one) ... complicated V12.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom