A taxing question....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Thmsshaun

MB Enthusiast
Car
2009 C300 4Matic, 2012 Kia Sportage, 2015 Triumph Tiger800 XCX
Can I tax a car if I am not the registered keeper?

Just don't want to look a fool when I go to the post office tomorrow.
I do hold an insurance policy for this vehicle.

As long as the car has a valid MOT if needed and is insured I don't think they care who actually hands over the money.

I think insurance has to be in your name and you need proof of ownership...If not full V5 then green sale bit.Easiest way to do it is online....

I think the problem could be the insurance and V5 having different names. They want to ensure that people aren't driving around in cars not registered to them for the purpose of avoiding tickets and fines etc. You can tax it but they'll ask you to surrender the V5 for a change of name to that of the insured or they'll require an insurance document in the registered keepers name. Who does the transaction is irrelevant.

i taxed my car with an insurance certificate in my girlfriends name as i was giving the car to her to drive, the V5 was and still is in my name, they didnt have a problem with it at the post office

As long as the car has a valid MOT if needed and is insured I don't think they care who actually hands over the money.

Agreed. My car is registered in my name and insured in my name but my wife always gets the RFL over the counter at the Post Office. She presents the required docs, insurance cert and now the MoT cert. No questions asked.

That said, this year I did it online. So simple and disc arrived 2 days later :)

If you can tax it online or over the phone, it doesn't matter who you are, surely. If not and you need to visit the old posty, I am sure they only look for covering documents for the vehicle and not necessarilly the correct names. Many higher and lease cars are done this way.

As long as the car is insured (you take documents with you to PO) and MOT'd then anyone can buy the tax. I have taxed a car not my own over the counter several times. (ie wife's, parents). Although nowadays i always do it online

You can tax it if the documents are not in your name - dealers do it all the time when outting a disc on a car to be sold.

What I was saying is that I am not the registered keeper of the car but the insurance will be in my name.

All it was was that when I bought the car the dealer actually put me down as a dealer. I was going to Tax it and give the car to my sister once it was cleaned up MOT etc. This meant there would not be an additional keeper going on the log book.

I found out the registered keeper does have to match the insurance.

Thanks for all the response.

dont take the first page of the log book with you.. just take the green slip on the right... fill in your details here in pencil... job done..

dont take the first page of the log book with you.. just take the green slip on the right... fill in your details here in pencil... job done..

Doh... too late. I did actually think of just sending you a pm.

Thanks anyway.

I did this for my brothers car on line. No problem at all. He had the insurance, MOT and V5 all in his name - I just did the renewal. It's easy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom