A terrible accident in my street......

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EDZ649

MB Enthusiast
Car
W210 E55 AMG
Whilst out and about this morning I decided to call in home to make a sandwich for lunch. As I drove up my road I could see my neighbour and his wife and some other people including two police officers standing outside.

My neighbour told me that there had been a accident on his property. He was having some scaffolding put up and the scaffolders had arrived about 9am to carry on from where they had left off on Saturday.

They had a young lad with them, in his twenties who was a labourer. Unfortunately he lost his footing and fell off the scaffold, landed face down on a concrete patio and died from his injuries. He had only been on site about ten minutes and only fell from the first lift, probably ten or twelve feet at the most.

What a terrible thing to happen, very sad and such a waste of a young life...........

That is terribly sad :( My thoughts go out to his family...

I never fails to amaze me how short a distance can kill. I had a colleague who fell only 6 feet to his death, broken neck.

Really sorry to hear this sad news. :(
Condolences to his family and also your friend who must also be in shock

A firm reminder to all to take care.

I work in a heavily regulated industry with Health & Safety a major priority, but we still see accidents, and lots of 'near-hits'.

Some of the people just get complacent - and some think they are indestructible. Very sad.

Local newspaper reports that the man was 38 years old, not in his twenties as first thought.

That is terribly sad :( My thoughts go out to his family...

I never fails to amaze me how short a distance can kill. I had a colleague who fell only 6 feet to his death, broken neck.

Does not matter if its 3 feet, you land awkwardly its going to break your neck.

R.I.P to the young man!

Thats so sad. Terrible accident.

I fell from a ladder 3 years ago. I was very lucky not to bang my head and Kill myself. I just broke my hip and elbow.

Accidents like this certainly put a perspective on life.

While assembling some scaffolding outside my parents' house the builder fell off and landed bum-first in the wheelie-bin. His apprentice nearly died laughing but otherwise they were uninjured. Could have gone very differently if he'd landed next to the bin...

Terrible news. My thoughts are with his family.

I too work in a business where safety must come first in everything we do, but fatalities do still happen - there was one over the weekend in fact, very saddening.

Terrible that, just shows how we must take seriously H&S.

Terrible that, just shows how we must take seriously H&S.

Indeed. Ignore it where it's patently silly, take it very seriously where it matters.

Indeed. Ignore it where it's patently silly, take it very seriously where it matters.

for that very reason scaffolding is the highest risk occupation, a terrible waste nontheless

RIP
rob

A scaffolder died opposite where I work a couple of years back. Not a fall though - he was killed by his own truck, which started to roll down a slope as he was unloading it.

Right opposite my office are a rather large manufacturer.

One day someone went into a disused warehouse on site and found a man that had hanged himself about 1 month or so earlier. He also worked for the same company.

Apparently, wife had left him for someone younger.

Terrible... :mad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom