A turbocharged 97 e320, stock motor.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pro60modman

Car
E320
I built this in the summer of 08 after I graduated from high school. It is my first turbo experience and I built the whole thing from scratch. Everything from the turbo used to the engine management installed is a first for any Mercedes. I do live on a farm in America lol but we got a house separate from the farm so I got to work in a nice garage instead of a dusty barn :D

The only modification to the engine currently is a 1.9mm cylinder head spacer to lower the compression into the low 9's, high 8's. I have not had the chance to mess with it yet.

Specs:
1997 Mercedes E320
Nice dark blue paint
Staggered 18" SL falseys
30lbs ford cobra mustang injectors
AEM Fuel Ignition Controller
Garrett T3/60-1 Turbocharger
Phantomgrip LSD block
1.9mm cylinder head spacer
352rwhp/366rwtq @ 9psi
My little sleeper
8psi bad turbo lag, untunted YouTube - Formula Doofus - Mercedes E320 Turbo 8psi Takeoff, untuned
log1xu4.jpg

log3hq9.jpg

log6ki7.jpg

braces2nf4.jpg

braces1il5.jpg

manifold2zu3.jpg

dscn0192xw3.jpg

149s56b.jpg

mt8ot5.jpg

semifinals4uz5.jpg

semifinals5dg7.jpg

10fruyo.jpg

2i23l7l.jpg

112bklv.jpg

j0jng4.jpg

282ls1e.jpg

Right after the headgasket change and re doing the valve cover.
154km5f.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting - I like the manifold fabrication.

Why the spacer, rather than skimming the pistons? To save cracking open the bottom end?

N.B Search the forum for Turbo Technics.

Last edited:
Head spacers are easier and cheaper :D. The VW guys run them and get over 700hp out of those VR6 engines. Skimming the stock pistons can be dangerious and getting new ones would be far too expensive and unneeded.

I know all about the Turbo Technics, Lotec and Mosselman twin turbo kits. Except for some of the Lotec kits, they all are very conservative and dont yield too much power. I'm gaining almost 200hp at the wheels :D

Excellent thread..how do you manage for traction from a standing start? Lots of wheel spin?

I know all about the Turbo Technics, Lotec and Mosselman twin turbo kits. Except for some of the Lotec kits, they all are very conservative and dont yield too much power. I'm gaining almost 200hp at the wheels :D
Although it would be interesting to see how a TT kit with the boost raised to 9psi would do. I'm not sure what Mark is planning for his 190 3.2 turbo project.

That's a tidy and well finshed install.

P.S. Looked at some of your youtube clips a couple of days ago didn't see the under bonnet shots then though (have been back to look at those since you popped up here).

Last edited:
Its not a hookin' car as we say in America. The turbo is so big that it doesnt spool any positive boost at the start so wheel spin isnt a problem at all. My 275mm wide tires also help to control wheelspin.

EDIT: The dyno sheet is on the computer down at J&M dyno tuning but I am going back to tune for 10psi in a couple weeks and I will get a print out then.

I am also planning on a twin turbo 190e exactly like marks but with the 3rd gen 96-97 m104. I'm having trouble finding oil cooled only turbos that can support 300 to 350hp a piece. I want a 450hp motor but to do that I will need a 600 to 700hp system so I can run lower boost and still move a lot of air.

Last edited:
so whats it like on kick down? still no problems with traction due to teh lag?

so whats it like on kick down? still no problems with traction due to teh lag?

Kickdown is another story :D If I'm rolling about 15-20mph and punch it then the car breaks traction and shakes side to side like an angry snake. It chrips the tires into the first 3 gears.

Hey I've just noticed the custom user title above your avatar. Excellent sterotype diffuser. :D

Nice to see you here - Welcome :D

Mine is still a pile of parts awaiting reconstruction, Once the ECU is finally sorted I will press on with it. T2 turbos are up to GTiR T28 spec so it should spool quickly but deliver a much bigger top end puch punch.

I am in conversation with someone else on here about having some custom pistons made for the 3.2 M104 and that will give me the strength in the bottom end that I need.
400hp should eb a breeze to be fair as I managed well over 300 from Eds 1800cc Honda a few weeks ago at a mere 0.5 bar :)

Keep with anyupdates as I am about to see if the AEM will work with the early setup - otherwise it will be standalone and map from scratch!

I'm gaining almost 200hp at the wheels :D

Impressive uplift and a nice project though I do wonder whether you should pay more attention to the manifold flow, and wonder how much additional power could be released as a result of that.

Head spacers are evil things which ruin the squish.

But, numbers don't lie and it's a very very tidy installation, a credit to you.

Enjoy :rock:

Dave!

Head spacers are evil things which ruin the squish.

Which begs a question. What is the difference between creating a lower comp ratio by using a spacer as opposed to shortening the piston or con rod.? They all leave a greater clearance between the piston crown and head.

It was always explained to me that you want to create a ball in the combustion chamber for a complete burn, so just skimming the pistons isn't what you want to do, you need to alter the bowl.

Dave!

Impressive uplift and a nice project though I do wonder whether you should pay more attention to the manifold flow, and wonder how much additional power could be released as a result of that.

brakes , suspension and traction would be on my list before manifold flow :)

It was always explained to me that you want to create a ball in the combustion chamber for a complete burn, so just skimming the pistons isn't what you want to do, you need to alter the bowl.
I believe M104 pistons are essentially flat topped anyway (aside from 4 small valve cutouts).

Something I remember from many years ago is that multivalve engines often have bigger combustion chambers in the head to accomodate the extra valve area, as a result pistons become flat topped (or even raised) to maintain the compression ratio.

The M104 pistons are noticiably dished which is very odd, considering its high compression. I think the compression is maintained by the piston rising over of the plane of the block. If I had to give a broad guess I'd say the head chambers are between 43 and 49cc's.

2cftztf.jpg

M104 engine is quite good for turbocharging. M103 is better because of cylinder head - its stronger. M103 leasts up to 800hp in stock.

I have M104 3.2 engine in my W201 chassis. I was starting a turbo conversion about a year ago but I stopped because I can`t get this power to the ground. (221hp and 330Nm at the wheels with 100% stock engine and VEMS programmable EMS) I have LSD (Like Kleemann`s, but I make these things by myself). 245mm tyres and no traction at all. Once I get that power to the ground and I broke the gearbox.

I use VEMS programmable EMS. I think that programmable EMS is the first step to upgrade the engine.

3.2 engine has quite strong-looking connecting rods, pistons should be coated with some ceramics. M104 block has under pistons oil nozzles for cooling the pistons.

I would tune up to 600hp stock M104 engine. Over that I should use H-beam rods and maybe custom forged pistons.

pro60modman, you should make a better design turbo manifold. Your tubes are too short.

Here is my first M104 manifold, do not look that bad welding
Second pic
Third pic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom