A very elusive CLS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It's not a huge distance from me, but the thought of an hour round trip for me to arrive and them tell me it's sold again doesn't appeal a huge amount in this fantastic weather :)

I would say it's not the car for you then.

Perhaps they should bring it round to your place so you can view it? :devil:

:D

On a more constructive note, check also for bi-xenon headlamps. IIRC many CLSs don't have them, which seems surprising given that the rest of the CLS spec seems quite high. Maybe they were a particularly expensive option? I don't know.

Perhaps they should bring it round to your place so you can view it? :devil:

:D

On a more constructive note, check also for bi-xenon headlamps. IIRC many CLSs don't have them, which seems surprising given that the rest of the CLS spec seems quite high. Maybe they were a particularly expensive option? I don't know.

Good call. Our cars standard light is c**p.

Quick update, went along this morning and it was still for sale - good start.

Had a nice test drive and it seemed completely perfect - quiet, powerful and smooth. It's only had one owner too.

Got to the discussions, they put together a finance quote - worked it out to being 13% which probably isn't bad for a used car deal but completely not needed in this case. There was also the usual offer of superguard, gap, wheel and tyre insurance.

At the end of the day they best deal they could do for the car without any of the above was the advertised price less £500 trade in for my CLK. Realise it is an old car which they can't retail themselves but it is probably one of the best examples of the W208 320 around having been looked after by me for 6 years. At the end of the day that's all it's worth for them to auciton etc though I guess.

They said with it being month end and this being one of their older stock the CLS would be sent off to auction on Monday if I didn't want to buy it. So I offered £990 less than the deal they offered, they said they couldn't do it and that was that.

I was kinda hoping they would meet in the middle at maybe a £500 discount but never mind. I would do the deal without a part-ex - looking at other examples it should fetch at least £1500 but I don't have space/time to sell the W208 privately.

So may leave it until after summer to realise my CLS dream now..

Thanks for all the tips though gents.

Try to find out what auction it is going to & you will probably be able to buy it cheaper than what they were asking you for it.

the CLS would be sent off to auction on Monday if I didn't want to buy it. So I offered £990 less than the deal they offered

hold tight. I predict they will call you on Monday ..

having re read the thread, it appears the car is already well priced ... can you post details of the car?

maybe take their deal if they threw in the next service free.

just to whet your appetite:

AI4C0404.jpg

If you are planning to take the £500 for your CLK as a trade-in, I'll send you a cheque for it.

Hmmm,
I think this is a combination of things. Firstly there probably isn't much profit margin in the car, which is why they won't budge and also why they don't seem bothered in selling it. Secondly sounds like there are lazy salesmen there which is also why they didn't phone you back, and also because no profit means no commission. Thirdly, someone more switched on probably now realises you really want the car and so won't budge on the price as they gamble on you having it regardless, tied in with a small profit margin. And, with respect, taking your car in px just creates paperwork for them and no ££££.

Which leads me to wonder why they have it on their forecourt at all, and as you said it'll be off to auction if someone doesn't pay the screen price.

Sorry you didn't get it. There will be others.

And unfortunately dealers are in business to make money! It sucks as we always want a good haggle and discount which more and more seems to disappearing from car buying. Sad times.

not many CGi's about, and doubt much demand.

back to plan A, hold on :)

Holding on, on the offchance. This one appealed as it should be after the 05-07 M272s that had balance shaft issues as far as I can tell. Anything specific to be aware of on the CGIs? There are indeed very few of them about. In theory this should be a better bet than the diesel for me as I don't use the car for work so annual mileage pretty low.

Hmmm,
I think this is a combination of things. Firstly there probably isn't much profit margin in the car, which is why they won't budge and also why they don't seem bothered in selling it. Secondly sounds like there are lazy salesmen there which is also why they didn't phone you back, and also because no profit means no commission. Thirdly, someone more switched on probably now realises you really want the car and so won't budge on the price as they gamble on you having it regardless, tied in with a small profit margin. And, with respect, taking your car in px just creates paperwork for them and no ££££.

Which leads me to wonder why they have it on their forecourt at all, and as you said it'll be off to auction if someone doesn't pay the screen price.

Sorry you didn't get it. There will be others.

And unfortunately dealers are in business to make money! It sucks as we always want a good haggle and discount which more and more seems to disappearing from car buying. Sad times.

Yep - the impression I got was there wasn't much profit in this car for the dealer and appreciate an old PX will generate hassle.

I'm sure you know this, but if this doesn't turn out to be the one and you're serious about finding a good'un, then you'll have to widen your search to national.

I've had dealers bring cars to me after providing a card baased deposit, that is refundable if the car isn't what you want - it shows committment on your part and is juxt part of the job to them (as well as a jolly for some).
My first E Class App Used came from Hull, 80 miles away.

The journey back makes it all worthwhile :thumb:.

This car is very poorly advertised by both MB and Autotrader.
MB has no photo and lists 'Leather', Autotrader lists 'Cloth and leather'.
Autotrader lists 'Audio 20' but shows comand in the photo. This is why you need to see the car in the flesh.

It always peeves me in car adverts when they list all the standard stuff and bury the nuggets of extras in the text. The Autotrader text is typical (see below), all standard fit in a CLS.

Neither advert mentions park sensors that I consider essential, but easy to fit rears for £3/400. You can manage without memory seats, BiXenons are great but rare, leather and comand a must have.

The car seems a great buy to me at £14K, with a 12m MB warranty thrown in and 1st MOT failures covered (standard BM approved used), and if you don't mind the fuel and road tax costs then have another go at the dealer.

Hell of a car for £14K and nice wheels.
Front centre armrest/storage, Front fog lights, Outside temperature gauge, Electric windows, Locking wheel bolts, Space saver spare wheel, 10 speakers, Front seat back map pockets, Height adjustable rear head restraints, Remote boot release, 3 point front seatbelts with pre-tensioners, Front side airbags, Rear three point seatbelts x 2, Height/reach adjustable steering column, ABS with Brake Assist, Auto Mercedes-Benz child seat recognition sensor, Height adj front seatbelts/belt force limiters, 12V socket in rear of vehicle, Front seats with lumbar support, Remote central door locking, Body coloured bumpers, Heated windscreen washers, Sun visors with illuminated vanity mirrors, Multi function steering wheel + trip computer, Tyre pressure w.

Hell of a car for £14K and nice wheels.

Agreed - that's what struck me.

Cars like this at this price put impressive second cars/weekend cars within easier reach of many.

You probably bought from Listers, as I did. The car was in Grimsby but with £500 put down, they took it to Boston. Could not see it due to bad weather, went to collect it without a committment to buy if it was 'wrong' in any way.
It was better than expected. Very pleased with Listers.

Our threadstarter should be buying the CLS methinks.

I'm sure you know this, but if this doesn't turn out to be the one and you're serious about finding a good'un, then you'll have to widen your search to national.

I've had dealers bring cars to me after providing a card baased deposit, that is refundable if the car isn't what you want - it shows committment on your part and is juxt part of the job to them (as well as a jolly for some).

What you're saying completely makes sense. With my online browsing hat on I have searched nationwide, although in practice I probably wouldn't want to buy from more than 100 or so miles away unless it's a main dealer and initial faults could be sorted locally (or from a trusted source eg our forum's own Jay for example).

That said this car I found that happened to be pretty local seemed like one of the better priced models in the country.

The more I look, the better the car above looks.

This one - ' Mercedes-Benz CLS CLS350 CGi 4dr Tip Auto for Sale at Mercedes-Benz of Boston (Ref: 109426)' - is a 2007 and has 36500miles, decent spec but is £16500!
£12600 will buy you a 2005 with 64500 miles. All approved used though!

£14K for the one you found! Tempting.

Yep,agree it is tempting and can't see a better deal on a '57-on 3.5 petrol. This one in red looks very nice though. I actually prefer the colour. It's same price but 30k more miles and 2 owners instead of 1 - not a deal breaker but highlights the reasonableness of "my" example.
http://www.caralot.co.uk/used-cars/mercedes-benz-cls-cls350-cgi-4dr-tip-auto-derby-201207450630991

Anyway, asking prices for these monsters seem to have increased over the past month across the board by a grand or two minimum- a demand from people wanting a nice car to be seen in over summer? I bet if I waited 6 months til a rainy December just before Christmas this year there would be a bargain to be had.

:bannana:

Last edited:
I think you'll receive a call on Tuesday saying they'll discount by £750 if you don't part-ex. You'll say "£1000 and it's a deal". They'll say "there isn't that much in the car". You'll say, "OK £750 and throw in the next service when it's due", and they'll suck air through their teeth, before saying "go on then, deal". You'll advertise your car at £1750, and within three weeks you'll sell it for £1350.

If they don't call stop by in person, with £1000 in cash, and write your offer on the card the salesman gave to you, along with your number, and it will show you're very serious about the car, but firm on the price.

Last edited:
How can Kingston upon Hull be only 80 miles from you?

Did I say 80, of course I meant 150 :doh:.

See how the return journey simply loses the miles ;).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom