A very elusive CLS

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clk208

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS
I've had a passing interest in acquiring a used CLS for the past couple of months and spotted something that ticked most of my boxes at a Mercedes main dealer around 20 miles from home that was very reasonably priced - in fact cheaper than all private sales/small dealers and had a low mileage.

Being crazy busy with work it was 3 days after the ad was placed that I got round to phoning to see if it was still available and I could view the following day- yes was the reply, this was at 4pm on Saturday. I went round when the dealer opened at 10.30am on Sunday morning and was somewhat disheartened as I drove past the car in the parking lot and saw a big sold sign on it. I went in and the salesman said it was sold last thing on Saturday - unlucky I thought but nevermind. I guess they could have called me to let me know as they had my number and knew I was coming but not the end of the world.

Anyway - today I saw the same car advertised again - sale obviously fell through. Phoned them today and they said the cutsomer decided not to buy after learning they couldn't fit a towbar. I said I was still interested and in a position to buy straight away so asked what their best price was and an indicative price for trading in my CLK. The lady said she would check with the sales manager and phone me back straight away. 5pm now and the dealer is closed and no call.

I may receive a call back in the next couple of days but something tells me I probably won't. I wonder if any of the following are reasons they don't seem to want to sell me the car:

1) They asked if I wanted finance and I replied I don't need it , would be a cash purchase. Clearly they would lose out on not selling the finance.
2) Old car as trade in (although would be happy to sell seperately and not trade in).
3) The fact that I wanted to view/buy tomorrow, when the sales lady I spoke to would not be in, as opposed today.

It is a very competitively priced car considering age/mileage/spec and I guess pretty desireable so do you think it's just a case of they know it will be sold pretty quick and they want to maximse revenue?! Or am I reading too much into it.

Last edited:
I'd walk in tomorrow and doorstep them.

Once on their back foot they might be more open to a good deal.

Worst you can do is walk away - they'd be guaranteed to call you then.

I am very tempted to go along first thing tomorrow LTD!

It's not a huge distance from me, but the thought of an hour round trip for me to arrive and them tell me it's sold again doesn't appeal a huge amount in this fantastic weather :)

I'll see if I fancy a drive tomorrow am.

An hour spent in your car is a good thing.

Certainly beats spending it the supermarket fighting with the hordes buying stuff for the BBQ.

A gallon of fuel or so and a decent CD will tell you if this car is destined to be on your driveway or not.

Just do it ...

Ya could always say you're interested in Finance and then do the deal etc etc and then just before the finanace is due to be signed say No Ta mate, his the Dollars instead!

:thumb:

My first E Class had been sat on the dealer forecout for a while.
They need to turn stock round and the price may reflect this :dk:.

Could it's spec be holding the price down?

Haha, thanks for the moral support gents. I'll report back how I get on.

developer215 - I don't think the spec is holding the price down per se as it has heated seats and COMAND which were my main "must haves". It's amazing how many CLS's there are out there though that don't have these options, particularly early ones. A crazy omission IMHO.

Would love to hold out for one with distronic, cooled seats, TV and a few other fun options but they seem to be as rare as hen's teeth on anything other than the 500 or AMGs.

Anyway maybe they will be willing to do a reasonable deal in person, who knows. Time of the month may be in my favour :) When are MB financial year quarters btw - heard of some good deals being struck around this time?

heated seats and COMAND which were my main "must haves". It's amazing how many CLS's there are out there though that don't have these options, particularly early ones. A crazy omission IMHO.

I would agree, but on the Comand front, if it has the Audio 20CD from the factory, it makes fitting a later HDD Comand with Bluetooth etc. a doddle!

It's not a huge distance from me, but the thought of an hour round trip for me to arrive and them tell me it's sold again doesn't appeal a huge amount in this fantastic weather :)

I would say it's not the car for you then.

I wonder if any of the following are reasons they don't seem to want to sell me the car:

1) They asked if I wanted finance and I replied I don't need it , would be a cash purchase. Clearly they would lose out on not selling the finance.

Bear in mind that sales people get very little commission on the car itself and in some dealer groups they have to sell finance plus two other add-ons, such as GAP and paint protection, otherwise they don't get any commission at all.

I haven't seen this with Mercedes, but there are reports of sales people at dealers for other marques refusing to sell people cars unless they took finance.

I would say it's not the car for you then.

:) it does come across that way doesn't it. Partly down to not wanting to waste a sunny day (been stuck in trains and automobiles all week) and partly because it is embarassing turning up to buy something twice that's potentially not for sale!

Bear in mind that sales people get very little commission on the car itself and in some dealer groups they have to sell finance plus two other add-ons, such as GAP and paint protection, otherwise they don't get any commission at all.

I haven't seen this with Mercedes, but there are reports of sales people at dealers for other marques refusing to sell people cars unless they took finance.

Intersting - yep, I figured there wouldn't be much in it for them as I have no interest in any of these extras. I think sinewave had the best idea - I will feign interest in finance if I go tomorrow am:

Ya could always say you're interested in Finance and then do the deal etc etc and then just before the finanace is due to be signed say No Ta mate, his the Dollars instead!

:thumb:

:bannana:

Good luck. The CLS is an awesome car. I'd phone and ask to put £500 down. That focuses their minds or it should...

Keep us posted.

Will do.

Good luck. The CLS is an awesome car. I'd phone and ask to put £500 down. That focuses their minds or it should...

Thanks ***. Hope it doesn't turn out to be a "shed" :) I'll be on the lookout for dodgy 1st gear shifts from the 7G and what not - assuming I actually get to test drive it this time. My CLK working 100% perfectly and looking very pretty, it's not giving me any excuses to change car, but difficult to resist the lure of a shiny CLS.

clk208 said:
Will do.

Thanks ***. Hope it doesn't turn out to be a "shed" :) I'll be on the lookout for dodgy 1st gear shifts from the 7G and what not - assuming I actually get to test drive it this time. My CLK working 100% perfectly and looking very pretty, it's not giving me any excuses to change car, but difficult to resist the lure of a shiny CLS.

If it is a shed can the car be named and shamed along with the dealer? I like to keep tabs on these things.

I hope it's a good example, you get to buy it, and you enjoy it. That's the happy ending.

Also, make sure you listen carefully to the engine when it's warm. If you hear an irregular ticking sound, walk away..... (it's more than likely the dreaded bearing which is a week's work to fix!)

I had a W208 before I've bought the CLS in March. The CLS is much better car than W208. From looks, built quality, handling, etc.

It took me about 3 months to find/wait for the right car for me. So take you time, there is always another one comes along.

Good Luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom