A very exciting, yet nervous day.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Crazyfool

Car
(14) E350 AMG Sport Estate Obsidian Black & (16) E400 AMG Line Convertible White
Well I've done it! I've bought my very first Mercedes Benz, which is my first rear wheel drive car and first diesel.

I can't wait for it to arrive within the next couple of weeks, but very nervous about picking up that green pump at the petrol station!

Last edited:
Very nervous about picking up that green pump at the petrol station!

Dont be , just remember if your feet are slipping away from you when you exit the car, your hand is stinking (for hours) from lifting the nozzle form the pump , your drivers side carpet ommits a strange odour over time (see first point) , your fill-up fuel price is 15% more expensive than it used to be then you are using the diesel pump .

Kenny

Yes and you hear the engine and think it sounds broke and your service bills are costing you more.

Trust me you never ever hardly ever forget you are driving a weasel powered vehicle.

I couldn't get the average price for a service out of the guy. He just tried sell me the servicing package.

Any ideas how much it is for an E350?

Well I've done it! I've bought my very first Mercedes Benz, which is my first rear wheel drive car and first diesel.

I can't wait for it to arrive within the next couple of weeks, but very nervous about picking up that green pump at the petrol station!

Diesel pumps usually have black handles!

Dont be , just remember if your feet are slipping away from you when you exit the car, your hand is stinking (for hours) from lifting the nozzle form the pump , your drivers side carpet ommits a strange odour over time (see first point) , your fill-up fuel price is 15% more expensive than it used to be then you are using the diesel pump .

Kenny

Bunkum, Kenny. You should change your pub to one where the bar room talk is more educated - and change your filling station too by the looks of it!

Welcome to the world of diesel Crazyfool. I love it.

Mrhanky runs an E55 AMG. I'll wager his engine is noisier than yours and his service bills higher. :p

Kenny - what meeeb says. :D

trapperjohn said:
Welcome to the world of diesel Crazyfool. I love it. Mrhanky runs an E55 AMG. I'll wager his engine is noisier than yours and his service bills higher. :p Kenny - what meeeb says. :D

Thank you. I would have loved to buy the E55, but my wife can't stop going on about buying a 3.0L. I'll eek my way up slowly!!!

Mrhanky runs an E55 AMG. I'll wager his engine is noisier than yours and his service bills higher. :p

Well I ignore the noise it makes till its warmed up. Service costs are low if we just focus on oil and filters and not all the other things I have paid for.

It's the only way I can justify ownership.

Congratulations - you'll love it! The W212 350CDI is an example of what Mercedes-Benz do best: refined, quick, comfortable and understated.

As to service costs, point your browser at Mercedes-Benz My Service, enter the registration number, mileage and where you are and you can get an indication. The routine service costs are in the region of £220 for an A service and £330 for a B service, but it's the additional items (like air filter, fuel filter, combo filter, brake fluid change, etc.) that rack up the cost. The service plans aren't cheap, but can realise worthwhile savings.

Well I ignore the noise it makes till its warmed up. Service costs are low if we just focus on oil and filters and not all the other things I have paid for.

It's the only way I can justify ownership.

Creative accounting :devil: Love it :D

Bunkum, Kenny. You should change your pub to one where the bar room talk is more educated - and change your filling station too by the looks of it!

Kenny - what meeeb says. :D

All facts gentlemen , diesel IS on average 15% more expensive than unleaded , the surface next to a majority if diesel pumps IS usually contaminated with diesel which DOES get dragged into your car after filling up , your hands DO stink of diesel even if you have put on the cheapo plastic gloves supplied by the station , if you can find any.

How do I know this ?

Because I have a diesel ,a pretty swift one by all accounts, and everything mentioned above is 100% factual.

Would I change it , nope as I think it is great - or at least until I can afford to run something with 63 or 5.5tt after its letters.

Kenny

Last edited:
My other car is a Diesel.

It's rattley and not paticularly cheap to run overall.

But... my hands don't get dirty, and I fill it up at the very same pump I use for my petrol car (same pump, different nozzle).

There are many pros and cons to Diesel cars, but in my experience the filling station is not one of them.

Congratulations on your new purchase!

I hope and am sure you will enjoy your new Mercedes, you've worked hard for it and you deserve to feel just a little smug :D

KennyN said:
All facts gentlemen , diesel IS on average 15% more expensive than unleaded , the surface next to a majority if diesel pumps IS usually contaminated with diesel which DOES get dragged into your car after filling up , your hands DO stink of diesel even if you have put on the cheapo plastic gloves supplied by the station , if you can find any. How do I know this ? Because I have a diesel ,a pretty swift one by all accounts, and everything mentioned above is 100% factual. Would I change it , nope as I think it is great - or at least until I can afford to run something with 63 or 5.5tt after its letters. Kenny

I would have preferred to go for a petrol, but although I consider performance before looking at mpg, I couldn't have the family wagon running at less than 30mpg, particularly when our V6 cabriolet runs between 24 and 28mpg.

I didn't really get to take the Merc out on a really good run, but for the short time I had it I was really impressed with its smoothness. Like my friend says, if the engines a little noisy, turn the radio up!

I couldn't get the average price for a service out of the guy. He just tried sell me the servicing package.

Any ideas how much it is for an E350?
Average salesman won't have a clue. And he makes a commission on the service package but not on ad-hoc visits.

When the time comes be sure to shop around dealers and MB approved indies. Prices varied a lot but after a bit of "I'll have to check with the boss" my dealer price matched my local indie.

To OP, congrats on new car and have fun with it.

All facts gentlemen , diesel IS on average 15% more expensive than unleaded , the surface next to a majority if diesel pumps IS usually contaminated with diesel which DOES get dragged into your car after filling up.

This is the same diesel pump that is less than inch away from the unleaded pump in practically all garages I visit.

I would have preferred to go for a petrol, Like my friend says, if the engines a little noisy, turn the radio up!

I would have went for a petrol also if they had made one in the years I was looking for (2010) as I don't do the miles to justify the diesel but having owned my first one now for 14 months I am starting to warm to it.

Mine does sound like a tractor when cold started but the warmer the engine gets the quieter it gets , it is no nosier than the 14 plate C220 they gave me when mine was getting serviced.

As has been mentioned before , I have taken out a 4 year service plan with MB for £42pm. I actually works out cheaper than the Indy that I received a quote from once you factor in having to pay for a breakdown service which I don't have to with MB (Mobilo)

One thing you cant complain about with the diesel motor is the torque (600nm in my case) which , when mated to the auto box makes for a relaxing / brisk drive depending on your priorities at the time.

Kenny

KennyN said:
I would have went for a petrol also if they had made one in the years I was looking for (2010) as I don't do the miles to justify the diesel but having owned my first one now for 14 months I am starting to warm to it. Mine does sound like a tractor when cold started but the warmer the engine gets the quieter it gets , it is no nosier than the 14 plate C220 they gave me when mine was getting serviced. As has been mentioned before , I have taken out a 4 year service plan with MB for £42pm. I actually works out cheaper than the Indy that I received a quote from once you factor in having to pay for a breakdown service which I don't have to with MB (Mobilo) One thing you cant complain about with the diesel motor is the torque (600nm in my case) which , when mated to the auto box makes for a relaxing / brisk drive depending on your priorities at the time. Kenny

I was thinking about going for the same service plan

My wife was very nervous driving it yesterday, but I'm sure with time she will start unleashing the full potential of the engine. Units won't tell her about the E-M-S button.!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom