A very tight junction and too much speed.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dieselman

Banned
Car
Peugeot 403 Convertible
I nipped out last night to go to somewhere I had never been to before, so was following the SatNav.

On the A40 I needed to turn off at Goodrich Castle. The SatNav showed the junction as a lead off from the A40, so I didn't think about slowing too much.
At this point there are no streetlights and it was sluicing it down with rain, so visibility and grip were reduced.
As I went to turn off the A road I realised the junction was a full on 90 degree bend.

Thank goodness for driving a decent car with powerful brakes and good tyres. It was a heart stopping moment. :D

Zoom in to the junction.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?oe=u...9&gl=uk&ei=2S8sU8-RN-mS1AXepYFA&ved=0CJIBELYD

Kahneman would say that System 1 got you out of a tight spot.. where as System 2 would have prevented you from getting into trouble in the first place.

And yes it is in these (luckily) rare moments that you appreciate the importance of choosing a good car, and maintaining it properly...

But the most important thing as that you (and the car) are OK.

It wasnt sat-nav error it was driver error.

Driving too fast for the conditions same as if it was foggy. :D

You were obviously in the Citroen then :D

I was. :D

I'm not sure the Merc would have been able to slow enough and turn into the bend without the back end going light.

No, because I was able to react to the changed situation. ;)
I wasn't driving too fast for the conditions, simply wasn't aware of the acute turn. If I had gone off the road due to water, that would have been too fast for the conditions. That wasn't the case.

The information was that the junction was a shallow bend, the reality was that it wasn't.
If I had had lack of concentration (as Mr Foggy eventually accepted), I would have ploughed through the junction and off the road.

Lightning reactions... ;) :p

Last edited:
You were misled by your sat nav that nearly caused an accident,and your lightening reactions saved you...Fantastic.:thumb:

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.867389,-2.631967,3a,75y,172h,73.38t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sz9T6vp7N2zGfQEhnfzFGkQ!2e0

I take it you mean this 110deg left?

No indication of how sharp it is in regards Road signs, little naughty.
At least there are a few cones dotted about to place behind crashed car if required !!

That one would have been OK as it has a centre island to indicate how sharp it is.
The one I took was the previous junction which has no markings, signs or island.
Looking at the fence line, it looks as though the road has been altered, hence the SatNav error

How would you have fared if it was foggy Will ? :D

How would you have fared if it was foggy Will ? :D

I'd have missed the junction completely...

Or maybe I would have been driving slower due to lack of visibility...

Boom, Boom. ;)

Since you've jumped on the bandwagon, you can explain how that is.

The road has been altered so doesn't show correctly on the SatNav and I didn't miss the junction and was able to react in time.
To confirm, I've just checked on a road atlas and it shows a shallow slip road junction.

If you look at the previously posted map and street view, you can see the paint markings appear like a shallow slip road.
Only when you get right on top of the junction is it apparent that it is a sharp turn, which I slowed in time for.

Over to you. :)

Last edited:
You were obviously driving too fast for the conditions and were driving faster than you could see.

An elementary mistake :D

If he could see at the speed he was traveling at, why did he need to take evasive action...? ;)

Last edited:
And the fact that this road was unfamiliar to you...could surely be included in the term 'conditions' ?

Keep your eyes on the road - it's where the road signs are !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom