A warning to for W140, R129, W163, and Early W210 owners

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Haris

Mercedes Keys No Longer Available for W140, R129, W163, and Early W210 - Mercedes Magazine

Mercedes do not do these keys anymore and I've struggled to find a locksmith that will actually take a look at the car (W140) to even attempt to create a new one.

Our house was burgled, only had the one remote key and the valet key. Luckily we can still get into the car with the valet key but still haven't managed to get a key made after 4 months or so! We have various control units/immobiliser type looking boxes removed from the car for one of the very few locksmiths who actually said they can have a go. Most of them simply said no straight away, Mercedes haven't been able to provide an alternative solution either.

If you do have one of the above cars I suggest you get a spare made from a locksmith using your current key as I bet it is a lot less hassle.

Not all models have these immobilisers - when I got my R129 a few years back it only came with the one remote key , which didn’t work, I put new batteries in but they died within a week .

I ordered two of the standard blade keys , a valet key , and a skeleton key ( the one you can hide under a wheel arch ) - since they were only around £20 each I very much doubt they had any electronics in them - the skeleton key certainly didn’t .

Perhaps my early 1993 car doesn’t have an immobiliser ( it does have a scorpion dealer fit alarm ) , so who knows .

W140 valet keys definitely contain a transponder, not sure which years, possibly all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom