A wee trip to Unterturkeim

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Martyn1993

Car
'90 Mercedes-Benz 190E 2.0 '95 Rover Mini Sidewalk
So I'm planning a road trip to Unterturkeim in Stuttgart at somepoint this year to visit the MB museum, factory and Gottlieb Daimler memorial and probably make a trip to Hockenheim whilst I'm over there. I could just get a flight out and go for a long weekend but I'd love to take the 190 to it's home. My question is, has anyone on here done the trip before? If so, what is the best/cheapest route for ferries etc. I'm travelling from the Edinburgh area, and was thinking maybe Dover - Dunkirk. Any advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

I haven't driven to Stuttgart , but have done Hull to Rotterdam and either to the north of Germany ( Hamburg and Osnabruck on different trips ) or down to Austria or Italy .

The southern crossings are shorter , and cheaper , but from here in Scotland , Hull is an easy drive , catch the evening ferry , then you arrive fresh the next morning and ready to go . If you drive to the far south , you're either going to need an overnight stop or you'll arrive knackered for the short crossing , which isn't long enough to rest on , then will still be knackered on the other side .

On my drives to Austria/Italy I got a day's travel in on the continent , following the Rhine , and stopped overnight before continuing , but if not going just so far then Stuttgart might be doable in a day , as long as you are rested when you come off the ferry at Rotterdam .

Does the Rosyth - Zebrugge ferry still run? Failing that you have Newcastle - Amsterdam both used to be cheaper than Hull - Rotterdam which I do very regular but the company pays :)

Stuttgart is about 500 miles from Calais via France. I did it in one day on my own, via the French autoroutes, which are way less tiring than an autobahn / Brussels ring but I didn't enjoy it.

Personally I'd fly and hire.

Does the Rosyth - Zebrugge ferry still run? Failing that you have Newcastle - Amsterdam both used to be cheaper than Hull - Rotterdam which I do very regular but the company pays :)

No - I'm fairly sure the 'Superfast' service discontinued a year or two back .

I haven't used it , but I would have suggested it otherwise .

Am I right in thinking Newcastle is seasonal ? I haven't used them either ( DFDS ? ) .

No - I'm fairly sure the 'Superfast' service discontinued a year or two back .

I haven't used it , but I would have suggested it otherwise .

Am I right in thinking Newcastle is seasonal ? I haven't used them either ( DFDS ? ) .

Superfast was taken over by DFDS and looks like they still run from Rosyth and North Shields all year round.

Stuttgart is about 500 miles from Calais via France. I did it in one day on my own, via the French autoroutes, which are way less tiring than an autobahn / Brussels ring but I didn't enjoy it.

Personally I'd fly and hire.

I just looked it up : Rotterdam to Stuttgart is 381 miles , according to Bing maps , so definitely doable in a day , even with breaks along the way - not much more than my trip to Aberdeen and back that I did on Thursday , or less than driving from here down to London which I've done many times .

Personally , I'd pay a bit more for a northern crossing and a lot less driving ( the saving in fuel will go some way towards the higher ferry cost ) but the main reason would be breaking the driving into manageable chunks , and getting a good rest overnight between the two driving legs - the extra mileage to the south coast is as much as the continental leg , then you still have as far to go again on the other side !

Last edited:
My other comment would don't do Hockenheim nothing to see. Do Nurburgring and the F1 circuit or Spa in Belgium on the way back you can drive both those

Thanks for all the helpful replies guys! I think I will go with either the Newcastle or Hull, will make it a far more relaxing trip. And thanks for the Hockenheim warning! I will see what's on at the various tracks nearer the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom