A wee winter holiday ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LTD

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
Polo GTi (and a travel pass for the train and subway)
Looking at going away for a week in November to catch some sunshine (just back from Italy so no more summer for me) and it's narrowed down to the Canary Islands as we can fly on Saturdays from Glasgow.

I hate the 18/30 nonsense and want to kill every timeshare salesperson I see. Therefore the Canaries are about as suitable as an ashtray on a motorbike but Egypt will be too expensive (I'd prefer two weeks there and do some reef diving tbh) and I'm not going longhaul for a week.

I want to relax, get some sunshine but also want to have a wander around, see something interesting and generally wind down.

Which Canary Island would you suggest, which resort there and why ?

How much longer is Eypgt on a plane than the canaries. Might only be an hour or so in it and maybe worth rejigging your plans so you can go to the place you really want to go to.

Can't say anything re the Canaries.

Would you consider a "city break". Barcelona would keep you and the family amused nicely and it will still be warm. Go for a cheap honest clean hotel and you'll have a blast.

How much longer is Eypgt on a plane than the canaries. Might only be an hour or so in it and maybe worth rejigging your plans so you can go to the place you really want to go to.

Egypt will be about £400 - £500 dearer for the week (for both of us) and it's on plan for a two week holiday in the future. One week won't be long enough as I intend to do the PADI course to allow free reef diving.

This is just a wee winter week in the sun ...

Egypt will be about £400 - £500 dearer for the week (for both of us) and it's on plan for a two week holiday in the future. One week won't be long enough as I intend to do the PADI course to allow free reef diving.

This is just a wee winter week in the sun ...

Barcelona, you'll love it.

Barcelona, you'll love it.

For a long weekend, yes. Winter break, no.

Settled on Fuerteventura.

For a long weekend, yes. Winter break, no.

Settled on Fuerteventura.

Check out Jandia in the deep south. Very few Brits there, mainly German. Great beach, nice little fishing village next door in Morro Jable, good sunshine record.

Jon

We've settled on the Barcelo Thalasso Spa Hotel in Caleta de Fuste.

Better than here, that'll be for sure ...

Was there in Jan but not that hotel. Very nice family resort in a sheltered bay. You'll like it.

Wouldn't touch Egypt at the moment too much unrest underground things are likely to blow there very shortly. As many of you know I travel all over the world but not allowed to visit Egypt on Business the risk considered that great. I'm sure things will be fine in a holiday resort / compound but I personally would not run the risk, trying to get out of a country in major unrest is not easy, I got the T shirt for that one and just seen some of my colleagues air lifted out of Libya in the middle of the night. Also been once on holiday and would never return, I also put Turkey in that bracket

The Canaries on the other hand fantastic but all depends what you want to do on holiday, my personal favourite is Gran Canaria which offers a mix of everything, Lanzarote is a little quieter but still very good, Fuerteventura very quiet and good for relaxation but can be windy.

Just my 2p worth

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom