A whole raft of new rules ,

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Next they'll be using stupid names like Reginald Molehusband for a man who can't park, or the Tufty Club to teach kids road safety.

Reactions: 219
'Bobby zone' does seem a bit stupid. As stupid as the signs that 'thank' me for slowing to 30mph entering a 30 zone. Why thank me for not breaking the law? Why not thank me for not burgling the village's corner shop, or.....?

Heartening that some attention is being given to pedestrian 'smartphone zombies' though. Maybe some attention to driver smartphone zombies may ensue. Maybe when they are old enough to be driving....

I'd never heard of Bobby Colleran, and I've never seen a 'Bobby Zone' sign. It's an increasing trend, though, for single-issue pressure/charity groups to be formed after the death of a (usually young) family member in particularly harrowing or avoidable circumstances. There's no harm in it, but I find that I forget the names almost immediately. The only such I can recall offhand is Megan's Law, but I have no idea who Megan was or what her Law relates to.

A bit like signs I have seen on roads in the USA..." No modified exhausts allowed on this section" , on a dead straight road with no way of leaving the road to adhere to the signs instructions. I suppose driver could switch off their engine and push for a few miles , and "Non DUI section" (Driving under the influence) ! My guess is that all road in the USA have that rule in one form or another so what makes this bit of road special is any ones guess.:dk:

'Bobby zone' does seem a bit stupid. As stupid as the signs that 'thank' me for slowing to 30mph entering a 30 zone. Why thank me for not breaking the law? Why not thank me for not burgling the village's corner shop, or.....?

Heartening that some attention is being given to pedestrian 'smartphone zombies' though. Maybe some attention to driver smartphone zombies may ensue. Maybe when they are old enough to be driving....

I saved a smartphone zombie from getting run over in Adelaide (Oz) There there is a beeper the sounds when it is safe for pedestrians to cross. Something had gone wrong - beeper sounded and lights went green for cars.....zombie just started walking - grabbed him by the collar and pulled him back in the nick of time.....he was so absorbed in his phone he barely realised what had happened......I don't get why people do not look both ways before they cross regardless of a green man.

I saved a smartphone zombie from getting run over in Adelaide (Oz) There there is a beeper the sounds when it is safe for pedestrians to cross. Something had gone wrong - beeper sounded and lights went green for cars.....zombie just started walking - grabbed him by the collar and pulled him back in the nick of time.....he was so absorbed in his phone he barely realised what had happened......I don't get why people do not look both ways before they cross regardless of a green man.

You interfered with Darwinian evolution there.

We have the same beepers here , to signal to the blind when it is safe to cross .
It hardly bears thinking what might have happened had a blind person stepped out when that one malfunctioned .

Me neither - considering that some vehicles (emergency services) are sanctioned to run red lights and may be in a hurry.

If I see someone absorbed on their phone and I think they might step off the pavement into my path - that is where my attention has to be. What else might I miss due to that?

I've seen signs that say 'No Fly Tipping'...So there must be places you can fly tip......

We have the same beepers here , to signal to the blind when it is safe to cross .
It hardly bears thinking what might have happened had a blind person stepped out when that one malfunctioned .
There are some around our way that beep and have a little 'volume' type knurled button sticking out the bottom of the casing which rotates when the buzzer sounds.

Anyone remember the Not The Nine O,clock News sketch with the digital watch...

A bit like signs I have seen on roads in the USA..." No modified exhausts allowed on this section" , on a dead straight road with no way of leaving the road to adhere to the signs instructions. I suppose driver could switch off their engine and push for a few miles , and "Non DUI section" (Driving under the influence) ! My guess is that all road in the USA have that rule in one form or another so what makes this bit of road special is any ones guess.:dk:
This reminded me that a few years ago Watford was declared a Nuclear Free zone, as was Slough. My colleague lived in Slough, and worked in Watford. He had a very worrying commute between the two........

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom