A Word Of Warning - Photocard Licences !!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GRAV888

MB Enthusiast
Car
2017 CLA 180 AMG in Black (mine) 2018 GLA 200 SE in Black (wifes)
If you have a photocard driving licence, be aware that now they have been issued for just over 10 yrs, people with the first batch amy be driving without a valid licence.

We all think that our driving licence is valid until our 70th birthday, right?
WRONG.
If you look at the front of your photocard licence, you will see it says 4a. This is the valid from date. Next to it is 4b. This is the valid to date. Now, I have just had my licence updated to add another catagory and mine now says: 4a 02-12-08. 4b 26-03-11. But my 70th birthday is not until 2039.

I checked my wifes licence and hers runs out next month:eek:

There are penalties being imposed for driving without a current valid licence and big fines, so if you have one of these licences, please check the date in 4b.

I bet some of you have passed that date already.:crazy:

Good point and thanks for the reminder.

What I find astonishing is that the DVLA don't send out a "need to renew" reminder as they do for the RFL. I wonder why they don't?

What I find astonishing is that the DVLA don't send out a "need to renew" reminder as they do for the RFL. I wonder why they don't?

I'm sure it has nothing to do with the £1000 fine:rolleyes:

Yes , my photocard licence started in 2003 , when I had to register a change of address , and expires in 2013 .

Strangely , though , the paper counterpart indicates a start date of 1975 and an expiry date of 2028 !

I never wanted the photocard in the first place , but was left with no option but to apply for it :mad:

I'm sure I read somewhere that they will be issuing reminders when the first ones shortly fall due for renewal .

"The agency is sending reminders to drivers whose photocard is due to expire, and no one has so far been charged with failing to surrender their licence."

According to the DVLA they'll send a reminder pack two months before it is due to expire.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/NeedANewOrUpdatedLicence/DG_078070

Guess hers got lost in the post then:rolleyes:

Another stealth tax:
DVLA said:
enclose a cheque or postal order for £17.50

they do, I got mine 3 weeks after the new license they had returned to me with the new address on it. Apparently they don't update your license at the same time, for free, if you include new piccies. Not that I tried you understand!:D

They also don't return your piccies, even if they don't use them. So make sure you get 4, that way, you can send them again.

When did the little red books end:eek: I guess I'll keep my paper only license for now, that runs out 2021.

I thought everyone had been changed to the new ones as that was a legal requirement?

My paper licence had an expiry of 2033.

My photo licence states 2016.. :rolleyes:

It must be the photo that makes me look old..:rolleyes:
I thought it was quite a good one too.. :eek:

It's best to still have a paper licence, so when you get too many points you can just print a new one...

I thought this rang a bell, been discussed before here

I thought everyone had been changed to the new ones as that was a legal requirement?

No - there was no requirement to change existing "old fashioned" Licences.

Many people did volunteer to take the new one as they thought a credit card sized format was a good idea but gradually people realised that the credit card photo bit was not acceptable WITHOUT the great big paper part as well - which isn't really suited to carrying with you.

No - there was no requirement to change existing "old fashioned" Licences.

Many people did volunteer to take the new one as they thought a credit card sized format was a good idea but gradually people realised that the credit card photo bit was not acceptable WITHOUT the great big paper part as well - which isn't really suited to carrying with you.
Correct, I rode my bike quite a distance to hire a van.
When I got there with just my photocard licence it wasn't acceptable:mad:

Ride home again and search for the paper part.. Stroll on..

Must vary from one hire company to the next . I've hired numerous vehicles , both in the UK and abroad (Europe) with just the photocard part ( in Germany & Italy they asked for my passport as well ) .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom