A worrying Development

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

carnut

Car
SL400 & audi A1
Is this the way to go?

http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/driving/article3981110.ece

The comment that police dont respond resulting in what amounts to criminal damage and vigilantism (sp?), and no doubt innocent motorists having their cars damaged (cars driving into the petrol station?) is a sad refection on our take on Law & order in this country!:crazy:

Last edited:
I have the utmost sympathy with the garage owner but it's a sad indictment on our police. We also have another thread where members talk about card fraud and claim that the police are once again not interested.

I hate these new legal definitions that are making it so much easier for thieves to show utter contempt for other peoples property. If you pour fuel into the fuel tank then you either buy it, or steal it. "Oh I forgot to pay!" is no excuse, be that fuel, food or any other type of shopping. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Can the garage owner absorb the costs of the spiker type equipment and how much profit is made if so much fuel is being stolen and the garage remains in business.

What happens if something like a Ferrari or any other super car pays for the fuel and that spiker accidentally activates! :eek: :eek:

Regards
John

Pay at pump is used at many places in the USA and works very well. At many filling stations I've used, if you don't pay at pump, but want to pay the cashier, then you have to give them your card before they'll turn the pump on.

Could be quite nasty if you happen to be standing on a spike when it is activated!

I hate, and refuse to hand my card over before paying for fuel. I'll just go elsewhere. Whats to stop someone copying your numbers of the card, and your security code of the rear and using it online? I must admit, our local tesco and Asda have the pay at pump option, I always use these as there are never any queues on them.

I hate, and refuse to hand my card over before paying for fuel. I'll just go elsewhere. Whats to stop someone copying your numbers of the card, and your security code of the rear and using it online? I must admit, our local tesco and Asda have the pay at pump option, I always use these as there are never any queues on them.

Yes and true, most establishments that take cards never take your card away these days, and you should not let the cards go out of your sight.

Last edited:
I'm probably just paranoid about ID theft, comes of being burgled 18 monjths ago, and having all the paperwork pinched aswell. I can't actually remember the last time i filled up at anywhere other than a major supermarket, I just don't trust smaller petrol stations with my cards. It used to bug me like crazy when as a hgv driver you were never allowed to fill up without first handing over your fuel card, it just made you feel like were being treated like a thief. Thank god where i work now you just fill up from our various depots fuel bunkers.

pre-pay is probably the best answer to all this. Just pay for your estimated fuel usage (a lot of people only put £20 in every time anyway!) and then you fill up. The pump cuts off at the amount you paid for.

Watch out for any car with a plank of wood on the back seat...place over spikes and drive away.....................not really thought through and will only work on garages with one way traffic othewise people will drive in over the spikes and if i did that i would sue the garage .....

Best way is pay at the pump --- but not all PATP accept Amex....

£20 will soon not even get you to the next petrol station!

Is it just me, or is any one else finding it harder to finish the fuel pump on an exact figure? I always seem to go at least a penny over now.

we are losing more and more to drive offs at our station but we have good cctv and report straight away to the police... they are very good in this area and take it very seriously, even if its only a fiver...

We have only not recovered our money on a handful of occasions where fake plates were used...

we are losing more and more to drive offs at our station but we have good cctv and report straight away to the police... they are very good in this area and take it very seriously, even if its only a fiver...

We have only not recovered our money on a handful of occasions where fake plates were used...

Are you considering prepayment ? I am ok with paying with a CC at the pump but would rather move on to another garage than hand my CC over prior to filling....

In Sweden all garages offer money pumps where you put the notes in(Sedal) and get the petrol, any time of day or night.

With the Jet system you have a card, and this card debits your bank account, the petrol was always the cheapest and the system worked well

No... its too complicated to do that... people dont know how much they are putting in... want to buy stuff from shop etc etc..

I read somewhere that smaller service station only make money on shop purchases as the margins on fuel itself are virtually non existant...

That is good news and you might be able to confirm what is being said about prosecutions.

Are these thieves prosecuted, or do you simply get the money back?

Have you seen a rise in this type of crime as the price of fuel has increased, or is it because there has been a sudden increase in 'Loss of Memory Syndrome' :)

Regards
John

In Spain it was prepaid, you handed over 30 Euros, the pumpn was turned on and it would delvier only 30 euros. IMO this was better as you couldnt accidentally put more in.

Nowadays, just pay cash. too many stories of credit card scams etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom