A year ago today - CLS63

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Big1Jim

SUPPORTER
Car
W212 E63 BiTurbo
A year ago today I span out on the A55 in my beautiful CLS.

I'm in no doubt that German engineering saved my life as I ran out of ability and hit the side reservation and then the central reservation.

I was doing 60mph in a torrential down pour. Too fast for the conditions it would transpire. As the back end slipped, I was able to hold it for a few secs before my ability ran out.

Police man at the scene said I was the tenth incident in that spot within a few years 🤦‍♂️.

No one else was involved. I was lucky. The car wasnt.

20210902_172815.jpg

FB_IMG_1630599485983.jpg

A year ago today I span out on the A55 in my beautiful CLS.

I'm in no doubt that German engineering saved my life as I ran out of ability and hit the side reservation and then the central reservation.

I was doing 60mph in a torrential down pour. Too fast for the conditions it would transpire. As the back end slipped, I was able to hold it for a few secs before my ability ran out.

Police man at the scene said I was the tenth incident in that spot within a few years 🤦‍♂️.

No one else was involved. I was lucky. The car wasnt.

View attachment 117851

View attachment 117850
First of all, congratulations on coming out alive, and scratch less.
Which set of tires were on your car? All season, All weather, Sport compound or General Summer tires?

Glad you survived Jim. 👍👏🙏

Spinning off in heavy rain, doing 60mph in a car that weighs best part of 2 ton with narrower tyres and half the power of an F1 car?

And some say they should have raced at Spa last weekend? 😑

(sorry for the tangent 👍)

First of all, congratulations on coming out alive, and scratch less.
Which set of tires were on your car? All season, All weather, Sport compound or General Summer tires?
Thanks Aidroos.

I cant actually remember, although I have a feeling they were Continentals ContiSportContacts. The car had passed an MOT the day before.

Thanks Aidroos.

I cant actually remember, although I have a feeling they were Continentals ContiSportContacts. The car had passed an MOT the day before.

I was in a similar spin off in 2013 November, at 170 Km/hr in our now restored Grace front wheel drive, on Pure Summer tires and it had rained that night hard. At 3:00 AM, overtaking a 3 series, I spun out and fought hard to control the car, but the damn FWD did not want to correct the rear end, and the front had to meet with a tree to come to a halt.
Back in those days I did not even understand the various tire compounds or correct tire pressures (Just nitrogen topping was enough for me). I was 26 years old and full of confidence. I have 5 such incidents, 3 were in this strangely tuned grace.

You are one greatly lucky person to be standing by walking off the scene of the accident.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom