A124 E320 transmission - rebuild or source

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Celicasaur

Car
W212 E63 AMG PP
Right folks, so I'm at a crossroads with my A124 which i mostly hate and only sometimes like.

The 4 speed autobox is pants and always has been. It has a horrid flare from 1st to 2nd and a light one from 2nd to 3rd. It also now hits a fuel cut and doesn't shift at redline if I go full throttle, then if it gets upset, it goes into some kind of limp mode and doesn't want to go past even 4000rpm at medium or light throttle. None of the little tricks with the vacuum lines or that spring or anything else will remedy this...seems like it has issues internally, but I don't know the platform too well, so can't be confident as to what it is.

Any experiences with a rebuild transmission and costs that I should brace myself for? I suspect the gears and synchro's are the the issue, so it will be little bits inside like the...I dunno...little bits? OR should I try to find one from a breakers yard, but at a risk that it might only be slightly better than what I have now. What I ideally would like is an experience close to oem with the transmission.

Lastly....any recommended places where I can trust to take care of my car and not bend me over, somewhat close to the London area? I live in West London.

Right folks, so I'm at a crossroads with my A124 which i mostly hate and only sometimes like.

The 4 speed autobox is pants and always has been. It has a horrid flare from 1st to 2nd and a light one from 2nd to 3rd. It also now hits a fuel cut and doesn't shift at redline if I go full throttle, then if it gets upset, it goes into some kind of limp mode and doesn't want to go past even 4000rpm at medium or light throttle. None of the little tricks with the vacuum lines or that spring or anything else will remedy this...seems like it has issues internally, but I don't know the platform too well, so can't be confident as to what it is.

Any experiences with a rebuild transmission and costs that I should brace myself for? I suspect the gears and synchro's are the the issue, so it will be little bits inside like the...I dunno...little bits? OR should I try to find one from a breakers yard, but at a risk that it might only be slightly better than what I have now. What I ideally would like is an experience close to oem with the transmission.

Lastly....any recommended places where I can trust to take care of my car and not bend me over, somewhat close to the London area? I live in West London.
You could try Ian at Star Services , near Reading for an honest assessment , he is an MB independent

Have a chat with Ollie at PCS in Horndean. He looks after our 124 and knows them inside out. He will certainly give you an honest opinion on the likely issues. I know its not exactly West London but many people are happy to make the journey to let PCS sort their cars.

Forget buying one from a breakers; it will more than likely be no better than the one you have - and you will have to pay for removal and refit. The 4 speed is a tough reliable gearbox; it sounds like it needs a fluid and filter change plus possible one or more shift valves. I'm not sure if it is a complete strip to get to them or not. Best to talk to a proper expert on the cars eg one of the above recommendations. The fix may not be as expensive as you think.

Just to add it will definitely save you time, money and aggravation to travel to an expert rather than finding a general repairer near to you.

Have a chat with Ollie at PCS in Horndean.

I second that.

My box was rebuilt by Mackie Transmissions in Glasgow for £1900 plus £96 carriage from and to Horndean. Ollie was honest and told me that he doesn't like the 5-speed autos and I sourced Mackie through the UK MB Club. So far so good. You have the 4-speed so Ollie might do yours.

R

Thanks a lot guys :)

I spoke to (Dave, I think) at PCS and he advised to check all of the vacuum lines even up from the headlights (didn't even know the headlights had vacuum lines!) first, but failing that, it's likely to be a full rebuild, circa £2k + removal and refitting costs.

I spoke to Ian at Star Services and he was super nice and very knowledgable. He advised the same regarding the vacuum lines and then said that it's possible that the pressure could be increased on the shift pattern of the gearbox, but it would be a balancing act, so as not to make the higher gears too firm, while making the earlier changes less sloppy. If that can't get the box to a reasonable medium, then the whole thing will need to be rebuilt.

Fun times. I was hoping to sell the car this year, but if it goes to the extent of a rebuild, then I doubt it's a cost that I can recoup in the sale of the car, so I might be lumbered with this damn thing for another year perhaps. Ahem...

I'll go to see Star Services in a fortnight (they're booked out for the moment) and then report back on what the outcome is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom