A124 Window knocking/grinding not fully closing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pavvirdee

Car
Mercedes A124 220
Good Evening,

My near side front window lowers all the way down and up as it should until it reaches about 2inches up to the roof lining and starts to make a continuous banging/knocking noise as I’m pressing the window attempting to close it. This obviously then creates a gap of 2 inches as mentioned above.

Not had a chance to take off door panel and investigate as of yet, has anybody every experienced or advise what could be the problem.

Thank you

Probably stripped teeth on the regulator quadrant, most likely caused by a tight spot in the glass channel.

s-l1600.jpg

Probably stripped teeth on the regulator quadrant, most likely caused by a tight spot in the glass channel.

s-l1600.jpg
So do you think I could get away with changing just the regulator and not the motor?

If the motor teeth are in good condition then I don;t see why not, but you need to get to the bottom of why the teeth stripped, assuming that's the problem.

If the motor teeth are in good condition then I don;t see why not, but you need to get to the bottom of why the teeth stripped, assuming that's the problem.
Amazing thank you, I also have another window which doesn’t move at all. The guy who had the vehicle prior to me informed me that an auto electrician came to look at it and advised him that there was power going to the motor and also confirmed no problem with the switch as he tried another switch from a different window. Any ideas what this could be ?

The best thing to do is to take the door cards off and have a look. Usually it is something to do with the teeth on the motor / regulator assembly. It is a bit of a weak spot on the 124 (my first one failed at about 5 yrs old) they get a bit of corrosion on them and then start to seize - puts strain on the motor and starts to strip the teeth. I have seen whole sections of teeth missing - also seen that it is possible to weld a new piece of metal in and grind the teeth out of the new metal. Once repaired they benefit from being well lubed.

As above spot on ...regulators gear chewed up and then the gear in the motor stipping they can be repaired as above post said .

Anyone know if all window motors & regulators are the same in all W124s regardless of what version - convertible, saloon, coupe or estate?

neilrr Well when i replaced my passengers side i just asked for a W124 front passengers side regulator. Rears are cable driven not like the fronts . Convertable front ones might not be the same . some models excluded see list all the week  .png

Last edited:
pavvirdee You dont have engine type in prifile ie 2L 2.3l 2.5L 2.6L 2.8L etc this is important when looking for replacement parts ..And use your vin number to order the right ones . post vin number and we can check the right part for you . Easy realy once regulator is rtemoved it will have the numbers stamped on it,so buy a new one by uesing those.

Last edited:
As someone else has mentioned it will probably be worn out teeth on the regulator.
I recently bought a new electric front window regulator from euro car parts for my w201. Returned it because it was for a w124 which have different regulator mounting points to a w201. May be worth your time checking if they have one in stock for your car.
Not a patch quality wise on the original mercedes part though, looked like it was made in China but it was less than £30 including the motor. See below, now more expensive, and this part was for the OSF (drivers side).

I would go good used second hand, rather than new .Reason is aftermarket are like so many ,,they are not made so good . Replace front passengers regulator 5 years ago with the same good second hand MB regulator .
Trom Rob at - threepointedpart on ebay

Thank you all for your help, I appreciate it.

So I took of the door panel off and can confirm the culprit is the Window Regulator.

Although I have not taken it out to check the condition of the motor, I can see that the teeth on end of the regulator have worn away.

pavvirdee I wonder why near side packs up first - mine did also . Do spin the motor to check its ok . Will you do it this jon yourself ? There are a few things to look out for on fotting dont lock up the holding bolts ..Let the window line up itself if you dont it will not close how it should ..Once window is centralised in the window frame of the door then lock up the bolts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom