A140 hand brake broken help needed !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

daveo6969

Car
a140
Hello All,

1999 V Reg A140 (W168)

I have a handbrake issue ! Several weeks ago I pulled up the handbrake, and something broke, assuming it was the cable that had snapped, the car was put up on ramps, the floor pans removed and an inspection ensued. Nothing looked broken, the handbrake simply wasn’t tensioning. A further inspection within the cabin where the cable meets the handbrake lever also resulted in finding no issues.

Eventually, I took it to local ATS that I’ve had dealings with before and they gave it a once over for me (at no cost glad to say). Their diagnosis was that the clamp / clip that holds the cable in place by the rear wheel arch had rusted off, and as a result there was no tension in the cable. They suggested it would need welding….

Has anybody else experienced this problem ? I’m trying to locate this clamp, but I can’t seem to find where it is supposed to have detached from – is it under the wheel arch or do I have to remove the floor pans again ? Is there a schematic or exploded view diagram that anybody has so I can assess the repair ? Or are ATS feeding me rubbish and this is related to a different issue ?

Any advice from forum members would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Dave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom