A140 top end engine knock

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy730

Car
Landrover 90, Volvo S60 T5. A140L, A140, Nissan Micra, VW Beetle. MGF.
Hi, thanks for looking at what is my first real plea for help on this forum.

My Partners 2001 A140L has developed what sounds like a top end knock, or rattle of some sort, but it comes and goes, and bit like it's getting a partial but regular oil feed.. (or rather regular oil starvation?) BUT, what is it??

It's said a picture is worth a thousand words, so to help, i have uploaded a video to youtube. PLEASE have a look, and listen to see if you think if this is going to be expensive??

Mercedes A140 engine top end arttle? - YouTube

Thanks for looking,

Andy

Have you pulled the engine cover off? Sounded like injector leak.

Have you pulled the engine cover off? Sounded like injector leak.

Hi, No, i haven't gone any further that a simple oil & filter change (that made very little difference..

I'll be honest, i've never heard a injector leak, so can't say either way.

from the previous comment (thank you!) i shall try the easy option first, that being flushing oil, then yet more new oil & another filter..

Thanks to you both for your comments :thumb:

First my error I didn't really read thoroughly just watched the video and think you have to admit it sounds a lot like a diesel. That is one rough sounding engine , although isn't it still possible for a injector to be leaking on a petrol engine as well if the seal has gone?

Sticky tappet as DM says.

I had one like it on an old w124 I had , tried flushing oil , didn't clear it . Had the tappets done in the end.

That said , flushing oil does have a good success rate :thumb:

Sticky tappet as DM says.

I had one like it on an old w124 I had , tried flushing oil , didn't clear it . Had the tappets done in the end.

That said , flushing oil does have a good success rate :thumb:

Flushing Oil on order, plus new oil & filter.. looks like i have yet another job for the weekend. The A140 is petrol, and has done 66k miles.

Thanks again for the comments, i shall report back when the job is done and if successful or not (fingers crossed)

Well, one flush later and with new oil and filter, the noise is somewhat better, but not 100% quiet. I've read a bit about the qualities and the for/against argument about flushing oil. So, has anyone tried this stuff : Wynn Oil UK

I have to bear in mind that this is a car worth about £1,000, so i'd rather not go down the road of expensive engine work...

Almost one year later... I tried some of that Wynns lifter treatment, my initial thoughts was that it was a waste of money, Wynns + new oil, a few days later and it was still tapping away. Funds dictated that i'd leave it for now to see what happened.

It was about 3 month later i'd noticed that the knock was gone & the engine was now ok again.

So, Wynns, comes highly recommended by me.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom