A140 What a great dissapointment this car has been!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pinballexpress

Car
124 Estate E280 2/1994
Firstly, this is not my own car, but was reccomended BY ME to the 2 elderly owners back in Aug 2004, when they were thinking of buying an Audi to replace the elderly Saab they'd been happy with for 8 years.

Jointly, with the owners,WE would appreciate any serious input or advice about the following ongoing problem associated with this LEMON of an A series.

CAR: is A-140 Avantgarde Auto petrol 1st registered 17/9/2003.
Car was purchased second-hand from "Mercedes Benz of Gatwick" when only 10 month's old in Aug 2004.

1st Warranty visit:
1) 25/11/2004 with complaint of POWER LOSS when going up through the gears when hot or cold whenever car decides to do it (no pattern as to when n where).
2) Auto gear shift snatches or jolts when cold and gets better to 'as it should be' when warmed up!
RECIEPT SAYS: Shock Absorbers changed, no mention of power loss.

Car operated properly for 3-5 weeks after this visit & same problems then returned.

2nd Warranty invoice:
12/5/2005 - Same problems on gear change & loss of power.
Warranty reciept says Contact coils changed (ign coil) all.

3rd Warranty invoice:
12/12/2005 - same problems returned, after 6-8 weeks
Reciept covers: short test / motor check / speed control check / throttle valve actuator check / control unit for electronic engine control replaced after check.
Mobilo reimbursements for loan cars etc.

4th Warranty invoice:
7/3/2006 - Same problems experienced after running fine for 6-8 weeks again.
Reciept says: Short test perform / Automatic transmission check (after quick test) / Full throttle (downshift) switch for automatic transmission replaced (after check).
Dealer servicing personnel comments? NO COMMENT just apologies & red faces.

5th Warranty invoice:
18/5/2006 - same problems again, gears juddering when cold & power loss after nice running for 3-4 weeks this time.
Warranty invoicereciept says: FOC Health check / short test perform / motor check / control unit with intake air temperature sensor replaced / throttle valve replaced.
More red faces!

6th Warranty = Now titled as "job card" invoice:
30 / 5 / 2006 same problems re-emerging after only 2-3 weeks perfect running.
JOB CARD photo-copy sheet reads:
Snatches into gear when first driving car, then engine warms up its fine. (never any mention of any power loss still existing).
TECHNICIANS REPORT:
1) Has had pressure sensor plate replaced.
2) Engine control unit replaced.
3) Kickdown switch replaced (now they're obviously guessing as this was covered once before above).
4) Throttle valve control unit.

And now up to date car started giving same problems a week ago, and dealer has never given any indication that they intend to fix this problem permanently.

In fact when thier warranty runs out in September, the dealer has said that to get extended warranty they will have to pay a wopping £50 per month.

Any advice gratefully recieved & kept confidential from dealers if you so wish - so please state this with any answers or suggestions you may have.

Finally, the old couple in question love the car to bits, but has become an 'in' joke to all thier friends particularly when they regularly visit veteran car shows with thier classic award winning =Triumph Herald soft top.

Its been extremely embarrasing for me, as they only live a few doors down, particularly while I've got a 195k miles E280 that works perfectly, and is over 12 years old.
Never again will I be reccomending Mercs to anyone except myself!

Thanks for any help,

Keith.

Not much left to replace, have you actually experienced this fault or just going off what you have been told?

if they contact the head office of Mercedes Benz in your country making a real complaint even get a letter drafted up by a solicitor than they will send one of the head techs from Benz out to look at the car. the problem with a lot of dealerships is the Mechanics can be from other franchises and don't have a great deal of product knowledge or simply they are crap

Last edited:
Write a letter of complaint giving all details (as you have above) including names of individuals at the dealer to Dermot Kelly, Managing Director Mercedes Car Group, DaimlerChrysler UK Limited, Tongwell, Milton Keynes, MK15 8BA.

They have an action team in place to sort problematic cars. They sorted mine within three weeks of me writing. I had the fault from new for two and a half years. Complained to dealer, MB Customer Services and was in garage 49 times over two and a half year period.

No letter of appology, but car fixed.

It was my fifth Mercedes.

I now drive a Toyota.

No problems, excellent customer service.

what car mag
send a letter and full details

There will always be "duds" but I can't fault my A140 Avantgarde.
It is one of the most economic cars i have ever owned and no reported problems.

IanDD said:
It was my fifth Mercedes.

I now drive a Toyota.

No problems, excellent customer service.

Funny that reading IanDD's post regarding switching from MB to Toyota. Im considering a MB -> Honda or Lexus move for exactly the same reasons you mention - "no problems, execellent customer service". How can MB get these fundamentals so wrong?

Sorry to here about the problems that your freinds are having .

A customer of mine had the same problem 2 years ago Lack of power , very slow through the gears .

It was an A140 Picadilly Auto and after 7 months of back and fourth to the dealer, a technician went out with the women on a test drive .

He imdeatley noticed the women was driving the auto with both feet , when her foot was on the brake it was cutting the power to the engine even though she was accelerating .This is standard .

It was her first auto so after a quick driving lesson she was very apologetic about it all but no further problems .

Just had the car back from her and she bought another new A class through my leasing company

Very happy Customer

Im not saying this is the problem its just a suggestion to part of the problem .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom