A150 Brakes Squeak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ow125

Car
Mercedes-Benz A150 (2006)
Hi all.

Was driving round the M25 to work the other day and noticed that when the wheels were straight, my off side front brakes were squeaking... At least I think it was the brakes. However, it stopped whenever a small amount of lock was applied on the steering.

I got the front pads changed a couple of months ago when the indicator came up and my mate (who is a Mercedes mechanic...) said that the discs were in good nick.

Any thoughts on what might be causing it?

Thanks in advance.

Oli

Were the new pads OE or after-market?

It could be that one of the pads is sticking slightly and putting the lock on, even slightly, just puts enough pressure on it to stop the squeak. I had something similar with the earlier generation W168; cleaned up the pads, ensuring pads were free to 'slide', ie use of coppergrease or similar. Also, check the caliper slider pins are lubricated to allow the caliper to move properly (assuming the W169 are similar to W168). Having said that, I would have hoped that a Merc technician would have cleaned/greased it all up initially :)

Or, possibly one or more of the pads has glazed over, a few hard stops might cure that.

I have had non-OE pads before where the backing 'lugs' were fractionally different size to OE, resulting in a slight clicking sound occasionally when applying the brakes, presumably as the pad was moving slightly more than originally intended. A new set of pads cured it.

tonysmb said:
Were the new pads OE or after-market? It could be that one of the pads is sticking slightly and putting the lock on, even slightly, just puts enough pressure on it to stop the squeak. I had something similar with the earlier generation W168; cleaned up the pads, ensuring pads were free to 'slide', ie use of coppergrease or similar. Also, check the caliper slider pins are lubricated to allow the caliper to move properly (assuming the W169 are similar to W168). Having said that, I would have hoped that a Merc technician would have cleaned/greased it all up initially :) Or, possibly one or more of the pads has glazed over, a few hard stops might cure that. I have had non-OE pads before where the backing 'lugs' were fractionally different size to OE, resulting in a slight clicking sound occasionally when applying the brakes, presumably as the pad was moving slightly more than originally intended. A new set of pads cured it.

Thanks for your reply tonysmb.

It's been doing the same thing again today, at low speeds, brake or no brake especially when lock is applied. Was in a multi-story car park am fit just squeaked the whole time.

I believe the brakes are genuine merc and my mate Paul is **** hot, he's been with them 20 odd years.

Thanks again for your help.

Both excellent tyres from the Dunlop Goodyear group, the F1 will last very slightly longer, the RT providing very slightly more grip, doubtful you would notice any difference..:thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom