A150 W169 Main Beam wiring

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JoniGee

Car
Mercedes A150 W169 2005
My main beam warning light on the instrument panel has stopped working which I know is a UK MOT fail. Annoyingly I’ve found out that the light is an LED integrated into the panel so can’t be replaced. I can get a replacement off eBay but I’ve been told that I need to get this recoded - well done Mercedes!
I have a low profile12v LED bulb that I can mount behind the blue lens and a 1m length of cable so my plan is to wire this in so that when the Main Beam is engaged the LED will light up behind the lens et voila, working main beam warning light.

The problem is, can anyone tell where the easiest place is for me to wire this bulb into and if possible a picture .. pretty please.
It is a 2005 W169 three door Petrol A150

Much appreciated.
Joni

My main beam warning light on the instrument panel has stopped working which I know is a UK MOT fail. Annoyingly I’ve found out that the light is an LED integrated into the panel so can’t be replaced. I can get a replacement off eBay but I’ve been told that I need to get this recoded - well done Mercedes!
I have a low profile12v LED bulb that I can mount behind the blue lens and a 1m length of cable so my plan is to wire this in so that when the Main Beam is engaged the LED will light up behind the lens et voila, working main beam warning light.

The problem is, can anyone tell where the easiest place is for me to wire this bulb into and if possible a picture .. pretty please.
It is a 2005 W169 three door Petrol A150

Much appreciated.
Joni
If the LED 'bulb' (chip) has failed, this should be easily repaired by replacing the LED chip by any technicians who are experienced dealing with surface mount components. Typically, technicians that repair mobile phones would be ideal for this.

On a second note, I think most components on a Mercedes is coded to the vehicle making transplanting of components difficult if not impossible unless the components are erased using special software.

Hi Joni,

W169 main beam light is not LED, and definitely user-replaceable - normally just plain old H7.
In fact, the only LED lights on 169 are turn indicators in mirrors and the third brake light.

No bulbs in W169 or C169 (coupé version designation) require coding on STAR to car's VIN.
Sounds like someone modified your headlights, and didn't do a very good job.

Alternatively, perhaps you have bi-xenon headlights, in which case the bulbs are still easily replaceable, just a different type to standard halogen H7 ones.

Email me your VIN and I'll send you a full build spec (aka Datacard) - david.glk @ mail.com

If you don't have a full Mercedes Owner's Manual, I have a nice set for sale ;)

@GLK You need to re-read the OP's post - it is is high beam WARNING LIGHT that has failed ;) An H7 warning light bulb on the dash would be interesting

Ha-ha, that's what happen if you look at things in a hurry :D my apologies.

It is actually very easy to replace a failed SMD, without having to fit a new cluster, I was playing with a spare one, when I considered replacing all orange SMDs with white ones:

44354264824_83ec7d2921_o.jpg

In the end I decided it was too fiddly to replace all, even though it looked much nicer with white text on a blue background:

45026091022_bc145ce945_o.jpg

I can change SMD/LEDs on dashboard, cluster, power gauges, window buttons, and any other modules/panels in the car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom