A160 automatic transmission fault

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mark Cartwright

Car
A Class 160
Hi I have a 1999 A class 160 and the gear box keeps going into F mode so times this juts sticks in what ever gear it is and other times it stays in 2nd gear, there's no rime or reason to this just random but seams to be worse when using lots of electric stuff lights ,heater, radio ect I had the car tested but all they told me was its a gearbox fault (I already know that lol) the codes the came up is P1856 I did look it up but it means nothing to me there is also another code p1875 Can communicate if anybody can help with what could be wrong please

Sorry Mark, can't help with P1856 - my old A160 W168 had a P1841, and that meant a new gearbox ECU. Mind you, it happened at 106,500 miles, so not too bad. Mercedes Roadside Assistance came, run the diagnostics, and gave me a printout. I didn't drive it after that though, except for a few very short trips in 30mph zone. Replacement (re-conditioned) ECU was ordered from ECU testing. Everything was handled by Des at Sevan Motors (Forrera) - he knows the W168 inside out.

Once replaced, everything was perfect again, and it will probably last another 100k miles!

So my suggestion is: get in touch with Des :thumb:

agreed -he is the A class expert-will be taking wifes A210 evo for Autobox fix (?first gear slipping-apparently well known problem) soon -hope it will last a few years but will only be used infrequently as have other car!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom