A160 (w168) SRS code issue?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JackT99

Car
A160, ML320
Hi everyone, going to try this forum too,

I have an issue with my 2002 A160 (w168). It has an SRS fault light on which comes back after 3s if I clear it with iCarsoft i980 scanner.

I have checked data stream values using this scanner and it shows all airbag sensors working OK. Also the passenger occupancy sensor is working fine. The only two things that are not "OK" in data streams are:
1. "Seat belt buckle for driver with switch S68/3(Left front seatbelt buckle restraint system switch)" says "Short circuit to positive or resistance too high"
2. "Seat belt buckle for driver with switch S68/4(Right front seatbelt buckle restraint system switch)" says "Short circuit to positive or resistance too high"

However both also are "connected". Now, this car is obviously RH drive and only driver's seatbelt buckle has a switch with wire coming out of it. I checked it with multimeter and it works, also if I disconnect the red plug under the seat data stream for it changes from "connected" to "disconnected". So I am not sure what to make of it. Same deal with passenger occupancy sensor, if I disconnect its plug I can see the data stream values reflect it.

However my main issue is that i980 does not seem to be able to decode SRS codes on w168 properly. It detects 12 "codes" but they look invalid, i.e. instead of Bxxxx they are all Pxxxx and then weird codes. See below, here they are:

P186900
P186904
P000000
P00000e

P186200
P186204
P000000
P00000d

P187300
P187304
P000000
P00000d

To me it looks like there are three actual codes and this scanner is not decoding (hex?) values properly.

I can't drive it to a shop to get scanned by another scanner right now, maybe someone with CAN bus frame knowledge can make an educated guess of what these might be.

I also tried replacing the SRS module with another one (same p/n but a few different writings on it) - did not work, got 32 "codes" and data stream cursed about invalid sensor version etc, so obviously not coded for this car.

Hope this all makes some sense, any suggestions would be mostly welcome. I know it needs to be scanned by another scanner but no can do right now.

I think you have answered your own question. Some aftermarket code readers don't pull every code. I think you need some diagnosis with the right equipment. Star (Xentry)

Will be interesting to see how you get on, Our little w168 has the same issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom