A169 2011 a160 handbrake cable

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Carabind

Car
W212
Help please

I’m looking to replace the three handbrake cables (Fr, L and R) on my 169. There is no “spring” or tension in the cables, thats all,been lost over the years
However, I‘m struggling to work out what I need as there seems a few variations in cable lengths.
I don’t want to order the wrong sizes,
Anyone any ideas short of removing and measuring the cables off the car?
ECP only have one choice, which may help but but they don’t state the lengths, and in any case, they only stock 2 of the 3 I need

Try hear for part numbers

Or hear

Then check Ebay, web ect

Get quote from hear

Or

I thought mine were on way out until I checked to see if shoes were adjusted correctly, they were not, adjusters were all the way in, adjusted shoes all better now, so worth a check first

Tezz

Last edited:
Ta Tezz. I will check them as you saw. The handbrake travel is excessive, so well worth a try . The cable will doing at some stage as there is no “spring “ left. The car is rarely used so handbrake is on and cables under tension for practically all that time! i had similar with a punto and replacimg the cable made all the difference.

No probs, def worth checking shoe adjustment, especially if some one has recently changed discs and pads and forgot to set shoes properly, mine were that far out of adjustment travel on my handbrake lever was almost to max
Not 100 % sure but think punto are rear drums, Ackass are disc and inner shoes that only do handbrake so need to be set up, but have seen few post where cables were replaced on A class

Tezz

Last edited:
Ta Tizzy. Yes you’re right. I did the discs and pads all round a year ago, but I purposely left the handbrake brakes alone as they were fine then. that said the previou owner said the handbrake was never great . But as it’s an auto, its not as apparent as the P acts like a secondary handbrake
and yes, the punto was drums at the back

I will have a look at/adjust the handbrake shoes later this week and report back

Have adjusted shoe adjustment, and handbrake travel reduced by 25%. That’ll do for me. Many thanks Tezz

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom